New member new ride

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nathan Morrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just bought a 2012 SSV (149k miles) from the Tulsa County Sheriff's Dept. My wife and I show/race dogs (whippets) and the cargo divider is great so they can't bother the driver.

First question for you guys: I want to replace the shocks and springs while maintaining the rear lift but also level out the front. I've read that the SSV uses the Z71 suspension but I'm having a hell of a time finding out what parts to replace with. I'm looking at the Bilstein 5100 shocks and I've seen that Moog makes a replacement Z71 rear coil spring. Does someone have part numbers for the correct Bilstein shocks (adjustable?) and Z71 coil springs? And what's the best way to level the front?

Including some progress photos.

BF9C384D-4779-4115-82AD-CDDAD51B6DBF.jpeg 8085DB71-9F36-48A3-BE20-D1DBD9B2F0D4.jpeg DC4665EB-A61F-46DD-BB8B-6AD302CB2DF0.jpeg 784E77FD-43C1-4E16-99FF-D66642BD5C70.jpeg 0C99C168-7FDE-424A-BD6D-4C87543B06F3.jpeg

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Just bought a 2012 SSV (149k miles) from the Tulsa County Sheriff's Dept. My wife and I show/race dogs (whippets) and the cargo divider is great so they can't bother the driver.

First question for you guys: I want to replace the shocks and springs while maintaining the rear lift but also level out the front. I've read that the SSV uses the Z71 suspension but I'm having a hell of a time finding out what parts to replace with. I'm looking at the Bilstein 5100 shocks and I've seen that Moog makes a replacement Z71 rear coil spring. Does someone have part numbers for the correct Bilstein shocks (adjustable?) and Z71 coil springs? And what's the best way to level the front?

Including some progress photos.

View attachment 221784 View attachment 221785 View attachment 221787 View attachment 221788 View attachment 221789
Are those red hoses for severe duty? Never seen those before.

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is anything wrong with your springs? At 150,000 and likely not having done much, if any towing, I'd say the springs are perfectly fine. I'm not the expert, but I doubt they're Z71 springs. Check your RPO codes to determine what suspension package you have. I'd say that the only thing that would be worn out is the shocks and struts. Bilstein makes a 5100-series lifting strut so you can get new struts and lift it at the same time. They're adjustable so you can lift it the amount you need (up to 2") to level it as you want. I know they have a matching 5100 series shock for the rear to match the front, but I wouldn't be the one with the exact part number(s). I'll take a quick stab and say that this looks promising: https://www.amazon.com/BILSTEIN-AVALANCHE-SUBURBAN-5100-ABSORBERS/dp/B01AX9FNRM

OP
OP
Nathan Morrison

Nathan Morrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is anything wrong with your springs? At 150,000 and likely not having done much, if any towing, I'd say the springs are perfectly fine. I'm not the expert, but I doubt they're Z71 springs. Check your RPO codes to determine what suspension package you have. I'd say that the only thing that would be worn out is the shocks and struts. Bilstein makes a 5100-series lifting strut so you can get new struts and lift it at the same time. They're adjustable so you can lift it the amount you need (up to 2") to level it as you want. I know they have a matching 5100 series shock for the rear to match the front, but I wouldn't be the one with the exact part number(s). I'll take a quick stab and say that this looks promising: https://www.amazon.com/BILSTEIN-AVALANCHE-SUBURBAN-5100-ABSORBERS/dp/B01AX9FNRM

The springs probably are fine. I was just going to change them if I was already replacing the shocks and struts. The RPO code is ZW7 (Suspension Package, Premium Smooth Ride). I thought I read in the GM Upfitter manual that the SSV had a fleet Z71 suspension. But I don't see that now.

OP
OP
Nathan Morrison

Nathan Morrison

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
How was the fit on those? Looks like a nice upgrade when replacing the OEM hoses. Thanks.

This set was great. I cut down about two inches off of one of the heater hoses so it would sit in the mount better along side the other one. This kit also gets rid of the plastic Y-adapter. Getting the old clamps off was a pain but it was really an easy install.

I originally looked at Mishimoto and HPS before I found these from Glenn's. Both the other brands only come with the two main hoses for roughly the same price as all five hoses from Glenn's.

https://www.mishimoto.com/chevrolet-silverado-1500-v8-hose-kit-07-13.html

http://www.hpsperformanceproducts.c...or-hose-kit-coolant-chevy-07-14-tahoe-v8.html

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the information. I'll probably pick up a set for our '10 Tahoe, and thanks to that link to Mishimoto, will probably grab some hoses for our '02 2500HD.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26