New Member, New Ride. 1992 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KevinGn_WV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Ive just purchased a nice 92 Yukon. Apparently a GT?

Ill post some picks when the snow goes away.

Been a Ford fan for a long time so Ive got a few questions.

What are some things I can do to wake this thing up some? It runs great, 200k but idles very smooth, no smoke, oil is clean, and it started right up this morning at -5F, -25F windchill.

As far as I know its the original, unmolested 350. I know on Fords, there is a huge difference between SD and MAF systems. SD being quite restrictive on engine mods.

Can I remove the cat? What are the best plugs/wires to use? Does an aftermarket ignition help? Do K/N filters live up to the hype?

Thanks in advance.

Kevin G

Stiffler63

Reaction score
Cats depend on your location, how much are you wanting to wake it up? I ran k&n years ago and learned the errors of my ways. I run a oiless filter

OP
OP
K

KevinGn_WV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Cats depend on your location, how much are you wanting to wake it up? I ran k&n years ago and learned the errors of my ways. I run a oiless filter

Something to consider on the oiless..

As for waking it up, it runs great, good idle, accelerates good, but it does show 206k so Im sure its a little tired. Just a little pep would do.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
Leave the cats on. There are bolt on mods like a new tbi unit or individual mods on it, intake manifolds, upper block change out, Msd or Accel ignition systems, MPFI conversion and rocker arm upgrades among others. Any of which will help the engine. If properly maintained a K&N will do no harm.

bowtiefreak

No Quarter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree on the basics. Fuel and air in / then out. Muffler is a good one and working on some more fuel and maybe a chip to flash the computer.

As for the K&N, ran one since 2000. Then on my truck before that and all my bikes. OVER OILING is the issue, I found that out and a $7 can of MAF cleaner fixed that. Light oil and let them set up. But I also have a volant, nice product also if you fear oil. Not fond of some of the engineering on the mounting but it works without issue.

Someone correct me if I am mistaken, can he flip the lid on the air cleaner to let it breath better and still seal? my old truck (87) could until I popped for a new cleaner.

OP
OP
K

KevinGn_WV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
As of now, it has no muffler, just the cat and piped out the back. Bought it this way and honestly, I dont care for it. Its not really "loud" out the back but annoying inside. I know some engines do a little better with a little back pressure, but either way exhaust will be done regardless.

As for MSD/Accel parts...are we talking basic tune-up? Cap, rotor, wires and plugs? Or the whole dizzy? And speaking of plugs...reccomendations? Do platinums, DP's, or Iridiums help or hinder? Splitfires? Ive heard both sides on those.

Thanks for the advice so far. Once it gets back above zero and stops snowing Ill take some pics and get to work. First thing on the list is fixing the wet sponge for a brake pedal. And its diving to the right on braking, but the steering checks out, so probably some new shocks while I have the wheels off.

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
If the dizzy is in bad shape replace but a msd is about $289. Does not include the coil either just pick-up, internal module, cap/rotor and mechanical parts like gear and whatnot. For your system use Autolite 25's or Delco CR43TS's for plugs. As you add the required Msd components you will eventually be able to open up the gap on the plugs as well for some more burning power. After 6 months tho pull the plugs and inspect them because a full Msd setup can eat them up fast. Basic tune-up to start but usually if you decide to add their ignition box for example they will ask you to have the wires as well.If you want to keep the ignition stock then all delphi/delco parts for wires cap/rotor coil stuff as needed.

Nak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It depends how involved you want to get & how much you want to spend. Lots of good bolt on ideas in this thread. Next step up would be Vortec heads, new intake manifold (Required for the heads), headers, cam, A chip programmed for the setup, and a high flow cat. That would really wake up your motor without having to swap the engine. Beyond that there's a number of great engine swaps. You could go old school with a stroked 383 or get power and fuel efficiency with an LS motor.

Bear in mind that while some 700R4s-your tranny unless you have a manual-run 300K, you have definitely reached the mileage where I'd start to be wary of blowing your trans. Mine died at 225K. And that was with a large aftermarket cooler and regular oil & filter changes.

OP
OP
K

KevinGn_WV

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Nak. Seems like there is always someone trying to pawn off a wrecked FSC around here for cheap. Ive even seem dozens of decent miles pickups and tahoe/yuks get sold for $1k because they have R titles. And....it just so happens I just bought a K2500 for cheap that may, or may not have some internal engine issues. Parts-o-plenty :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65