New Hybrid Owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bayou Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello to all..
Just acquired a 09 Hybrid Tahoe. I have seen the post about removal of the second resonator and that's something I'll definitely do. But I also want to add a spare tire at the same time. Anyone done that and how? $$?

Last edited:

Denali0229

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Welcome and Congrats. Just curious, what kind of gas mileage do you get?

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello to all..
Just acquired a 09 Hybrid Tahoe. I have seen the post about removal of the second resonator and that's something I'll definitely do. But I also want to add a spare tire at the same time. Anyone done that and how? $$?

Hi there ...

Yes I did that on my 09 HyHoe last year.

You have to do the res delete, then:

1. Buy the 11+ spare tire kit part no. 22754574
2. Buy a spare 265/70R17 tire for it and have them installed.
3. Buy either an escalade/denali or base tahoe/yukon bumper, with step pad and swap your bumper for it.

The reason you buy the 11+ spare kit is because you are deleting the resonator so you don't need the more expensive earlier kit that comes with a resonator relocate package.

The reason you need to change bumpers is because your bumper doesn't have the hoist access point that you need to lower the spare tire.

If you go the esky/denali bumper route, it will look like this:

web.jpg

You can see the spare. :)

---------- Post added at 08:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:13 PM ----------

Oh and to answer your $$ question ...

If you add up:

New exhaust tips and res delete install labor
Spare tire kit, spare tire, and install labor
New bumper, pad, hitch cover, paint and install labor

You'll be in for roughly $1500

OP
OP
B

Bayou Tahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome and Congrats. Just curious, what kind of gas mileage do you get?
I'm sorry but I don't know at this point. We took a trip Easter weekend and I meant to monitor the mpg but completely forgot. My wife does say that she gets better mpg in town compared to our old 2000 Tahoe, which still runs great.

Soulsea
Thanks for the info. Wow...hoped it wasn't that much.

soulsea

Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soulsea
Thanks for the info. Wow...hoped it wasn't that much.

Yeah I'm sorry, it really is a small ordeal.

GM has screwed the pooch on this one ... they sell their spare tire kit as a plug and play solution for Tahoe and Yukon hybrid owners and never tell anyone that it can't be used with their existing bumper.

That said, it does look a million times better with the Esky/Denali bumper so in a way, they're doing you a favor. :)

In my case, I had deleted the resonator and swapped bumpers anyway, so the spare tired kit wasn't a big deal.

Let me know if you need any more hybrid related info. :Handshake:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Off Road Pedia

Latest posts