New Guy With Oil Pressure From Bad To Worse!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Agree with iamdub. Check with mechanical gauge. We all know how these great stepper motors are on the GM clusters. Could be the gauge and not the sender at all. What would have me concerned is the ticking you hear. Your oil filter being dry does prove that the suction wasn’t seated in the pump but now that it is you should have more pressure than that. Sounds to me like bearing clearance issue. I’ve seen this happen due to the oil diverter barbell. It’s a crappy piece of plastic that blocks the oil passage directing oil to the filter. They are undersized and allowed unfiltered oil to go directly to the cam bearings and cause premature failure. They have billet ones available now and are cheap. I’m sure you can find it with a google search. Best of luck and I hope you get ahead of this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Agree with iamdub. Check with mechanical gauge. We all know how these great stepper motors are on the GM clusters. Could be the gauge and not the sender at all. What would have me concerned is the ticking you hear. Your oil filter being dry does prove that the suction wasn’t seated in the pump but now that it is you should have more pressure than that. Sounds to me like bearing clearance issue. I’ve seen this happen due to the oil diverter barbell. It’s a crappy piece of plastic that blocks the oil passage directing oil to the filter. They are undersized and allowed unfiltered oil to go directly to the cam bearings and cause premature failure. They have billet ones available now and are cheap. I’m sure you can find it with a google search. Best of luck and I hope you get ahead of this.

You talking about the bypass valve?

Snowbound

Jim
Reaction score
Not saying it’s the culprit but I’ve seen these cause premature cam bearing failures.

They get brittle and the o-ring doesn’t block the oil flow and allows non filtered oil to circulate thru the engine. First stop, cam bearings. Although I should add, the failure I seen had a lot to do with lack of maintenance. But the cam bearings were bad and needed to be replaced. The same engine, the rod and main bearings showed wear but cam was worse.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Not saying it’s the culprit but I’ve seen these cause premature cam bearing failures.

They get brittle and the o-ring doesn’t block the oil flow and allows non filtered oil to circulate thru the engine. First stop, cam bearings. Although I should add, the failure I seen had a lot to do with lack of maintenance. But the cam bearings were bad and needed to be replaced. The same engine, the rod and main bearings showed wear but cam was worse.

Interesting, thanks.

Lancem

Reaction score
On oil pressure 10 psi per 1000 rpm is considered sufficient in most circles, 20 at idle you should be fine.

Lancem

Reaction score
From Chevy performance on the L96 engine
Oil Pressure (Minimum, with hot oil):..............6 psig @ 1000 RPM .......................................................................18 psig @ 2000 RPM .......................................................................24 psig @ 4000 RPM

Same spec for the LS3 series

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agmanw8n