New guy with 2011 yukon xl

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
T

tractorpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum. Need pics please.
I don't have many pics of it but I'll put one up I just snapped real quick and one I found on my wife's phone. I took the ranch hand off as I don't care for the looks personally.

Attachments

• 20221225_101645.jpg
    20221225_101645.jpg
    475.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20221225_143428.jpg
    IMG_20221225_143428.jpg
    544 KB · Views: 4

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! Merry Christmas to you as well! No major plans for it, just going to be a family vehicle. If its possible to get better gas mileage thatd be my only thing. It has 164000 miles and is fairly clean and in pretty good shape. It was the nicest one I could find in my price range, everything I looked at was rusting out or had issues of some kind.

Michelin Defenders deliver great gas mileage, keeping all the fluids fresh and clean in the driveline increases mpgs some and of course ditching that ranch hand helps as well.

Once I replace all of my u-joints and put in the 9.5" axle, I'm looking to do one of those tractor pull races with my Yukon and maybe the the Sierras once or twice. Closest town that does them is about 3 hours away.

Nice looking ride in that color, is that Sonoma Red Metallic?

OP
OP
T

tractorpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Michelin Defenders deliver great gas mileage, keeping all the fluids fresh and clean in the driveline increases mpgs some and of course ditching that ranch hand helps as well.

Once I replace all of my u-joints and put in the 9.5" axle, I'm looking to do one of those tractor pull races with my Yukon and maybe the the Sierras once or twice. Closest town that does them is about 3 hours away.

Nice looking ride in that color, is that Sonoma Red Metallic?
I'm sure the tires on it don't help, they are cooper at3s, but they are almost new so I guess I'll have to wear them out. The tractor pulling was fun it just became more expensive and time consuming than I wanted to keep doing. Thanks, my wife loves it and was kinda the deciding factor between it and another one we liked. It is actually the red jewelry tintciat metallic.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Welcome, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Man that’s cold turkey going to gas like that. We finally left wagons and went to full size SUV after all our relatives started raving about their Gen III YXL and Burbs. Haven’t been back since 06 and on our 2nd Gen IV pushing 170k clicks.

Our Indi tech is a diesel mech for the local school Distr buses + owns a shop. He loves working the GM gas stuff. It’s predictable, light duty compared to diesel spec and a platform good for at least 300k.

Most of all, like you found, the wife loves it. Prior to COVID owners practically gave em away not knowing their lifespan. They’re a strange vehicle increasing in value as they age if maintained.

OP
OP
T

tractorpuller

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Welcome, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year!

Man that’s cold turkey going to gas like that. We finally left wagons and went to full size SUV after all our relatives started raving about their Gen III YXL and Burbs. Haven’t been back since 06 and on our 2nd Gen IV pushing 170k clicks.

Our Indi tech is a diesel mech for the local school Distr buses + owns a shop. He loves working the GM gas stuff. It’s predictable, light duty compared to diesel spec and a platform good for at least 300k.

Most of all, like you found, the wife loves it. Prior to COVID owners practically gave em away not knowing their lifespan. They’re a strange vehicle increasing in value as they age if maintained.
Thanks and merry Christmas to you as well! Lol! Well I still have the diesels, the jeep and one of my jettas is up for sale. The cummins I have for our 5th wheel camper and the other jetta is my beater I run to work.

John H Daniel

Reaction score
Welcome... Since I have a similar truck, I'll share my experience
I've had my 2011 Denali for 2 years now. Got it with 180,000, now has 200,000; alot of them towing a car hauler. I paid less knowing it was high mileage but fairly well maintained and figured I spend some money on it. So far...
A/C blockoff as rear AC lines were corroded thru
left motor mount
broken exhaust studs fixed with Kral gadgets
Oil leaks under Vlom/Intake/ oil pressure sensor
DOD disable plug-in
failed torque converter resulting in required trans rebuild
new rear suspension compressor and shocks
So, its done it job and total spent is about $22,000. Not sure it works out or I should have bought a $22,000 truck to start with.

Maybe most of these things are regular problems that either have been addressed or will need it.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome... Since I have a similar truck, I'll share my experience
I've had my 2011 Denali for 2 years now. Got it with 180,000, now has 200,000; alot of them towing a car hauler. I paid less knowing it was high mileage but fairly well maintained and figured I spend some money on it. So far...
A/C blockoff as rear AC lines were corroded thru
left motor mount
broken exhaust studs fixed with Kral gadgets
Oil leaks under Vlom/Intake/ oil pressure sensor
DOD disable plug-in
failed torque converter resulting in required trans rebuild
new rear suspension compressor and shocks
So, its done it job and total spent is about $22,000. Not sure it works out or I should have bought a $22,000 truck to start with.

Maybe most of these things are regular problems that either have been addressed or will need it.

Better the devil you know than the devil you don't.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure the tires on it don't help, they are cooper at3s, but they are almost new so I guess I'll have to wear them out. The tractor pulling was fun it just became more expensive and time consuming than I wanted to keep doing. Thanks, my wife loves it and was kinda the deciding factor between it and another one we liked. It is actually the red jewelry tintciat metallic.
Do you think our 1355 U-Joints could handle a few pulls or would it be wise to upgrade to 1415 U-Joints?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Franny