New guy, introduction and big question!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheVazha

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Gents!

Happy to be here finally after 16 years! My first car I've ever had the pleasure of owning was a 2000 Chevy Tahoe Limited. I leased it for 3 years right out of high school. I instantly tinted the windows and threw a flowmaster series 40 on it. Up until my daughter was born 9 months ago, those were some of the best times in my life.

After I got rid of that car, I spent the next 13 years in German sedans. Not that it was a bad time, I was fortunate to drive some killer rides. Some pics..!

e634_1.jpg

e633.jpg

sale6.jpg

gcls3.jpg

DSC_0117.jpg

ps5.jpg

DSC00750.jpg

Anyway, now that we have a kid, I picked up my first SUV in over 10 years..:

lb2.jpg

diff2_1.jpg

She's a beauty and fast as hell. I'm running a Velos tune and an Eisenmann Race exhaust system. Sounds like a freight train and pulls even harder.

About 3 months ago my irresponsible wife announced that we are pregnant again. :) Yes, it's possible, lol. They'll be 14 months apart. Due to this amazing miracle, I need to get back into a full size SUV asap. Wife say's she'll drive the X5M and I get to buy a full size. One baby + accessories barely fits in the X5M, we wont even attempt two.

I have a couple questions for you fine people:

1. Is it more affordable to just buy a 2015 Denali OR buy a 2015 Tahoe and slap a supercharger on it? (Favoring the Denali ONLY because of the bigger motor, I do not at all care about any of the other comforts or badges)
2. If one was to buy a 2015 Tahoe and supercharge it, what kind of power would it make? Would it be as fast as a stock Denali? Would it be fun to drive?

I'm not looking to break any 1/4 mile records, just want to get a bit more juice out of that 5.3L. In fact, I think the Tahoe would take me back to the glory days. Although a Denali would be fun as hell too. So, whats say you? :)

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Dunno about SC but BUY AN XL OR A SUBURBAN!! 2 kids here too and I promise a shorty has ZERO room if parents/in laws ever require the 3rd row for a trip.

I had to trade my shorty in on an XL.

johnnybogey

Reaction score
Congrats!!!!
In the process of trading in the shorty (2015i Yukon Denali) for a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. Second child born about a month ago and we need more room!!!

TBH, was never pleased with the 2015's. Tranny seemed off and v4 was horrible (fluttering).

Test drove a 2016 Yukon XL Denali yesterday. Dealer had 4 of the exact same model I was looking for. I made sure I picked the newest build date. It is awesome!!!! World of difference compared to my 2015. I feel like GM has lots of the kinks worked out.

Another thing I learned was this. On the shorty, due to placement of the rear axle, the floor is a bit higher so that anyone sitting in the 3rd row, their feet will rest higher. Well, on the XL, not the case and so easier for an adult to sit back there without having their knees in their chest.

Good luck!!!!

hosseface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Congrats!!!!
In the process of trading in the shorty (2015i Yukon Denali) for a 2016 Yukon XL Denali. Second child born about a month ago and we need more room!!!

TBH, was never pleased with the 2015's. Tranny seemed off and v4 was horrible (fluttering).

Test drove a 2016 Yukon XL Denali yesterday. Dealer had 4 of the exact same model I was looking for. I made sure I picked the newest build date. It is awesome!!!! World of difference compared to my 2015. I feel like GM has lots of the kinks worked out.

Another thing I learned was this. On the shorty, due to placement of the rear axle, the floor is a bit higher so that anyone sitting in the 3rd row, their feet will rest higher. Well, on the XL, not the case and so easier for an adult to sit back there without having their knees in their chest.

Good luck!!!!
Totally agree with the 3rd row feet deal. GOT SO TIRED of the mil complaining about that. IMO, the shortys are only good for 2 people and cargo or 2 people with 1/2 kids and zero need EVER for family and or additional passengers. Basically, the shortys have a max passenger load of 4 IMO.

metalmaniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I only have 1 child and have had a couple of Tahoes , an 09 and a 12 both LTZ models. I had the opportunity to pick up a 15 suburban for a killer deal so I jumped on it. We just returned from our first trip in the Suburban and all I can say is holy cow, what a difference with all of the extra room. I am currently in the process of raising my 12 Tahoe back up and removing all of the Escalade tail lights, roof rack and third brake light and putting it back to stock for resale. You will definatley love the added room !

johnnybogey

Reaction score
Totally agree with the 3rd row feet deal. GOT SO TIRED of the mil complaining about that. IMO, the shortys are only good for 2 people and cargo or 2 people with 1/2 kids and zero need EVER for family and or additional passengers. Basically, the shortys have a max passenger load of 4 IMO.

yeah, I was pleasantly surprised by this.

We just got back from a weekend trip and the Yukon was packed. Our oldest sits in a booster seat in the 3rd row (40% split side) while the 60% split side was folded down for luggage. The shorty was packed. If we were going to a beach destination, would have no room for beach stuff.

I've never been a fan of the cargo carriers on the roof or attachment on the rear of the vehicle so the XL made sense for our needs.

In trying to decide whether to go with 2nd row bucket or bench, we ultimately concluded that while the bucket seats are not ideal right now, once the kids are older, the bucket seats would be much preferred. Again, the assumption here as my wife put it, you are driving this car for the next 10 years!!!! :)

Last edited:

johnnybogey

Reaction score
I only have 1 child and have had a couple of Tahoes , an 09 and a 12 both LTZ models. I had the opportunity to pick up a 15 suburban for a killer deal so I jumped on it. We just returned from our first trip in the Suburban and all I can say is holy cow, what a difference with all of the extra room. I am currently in the process of raising my 12 Tahoe back up and removing all of the Escalade tail lights, roof rack and third brake light and putting it back to stock for resale. You will definatley love the added room !

nice!!! "I should have known" when shopping the first time given that the cargo spaced was the same as our Honda Pilot when the 3rd row is in use. Ugh. Lesson learned but super excited for the extra cargo space and "usable" 3rd row seating for passengers.

metalmaniac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You hit the nail on the head when you said extra cargo space and USABLE third row seating !

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
congrats on new rug rat

i'd say get a burb/XL model.
if you want to keep warranty - look for Callaway, Hennessey or Lingenfelter versions.
yes you pay a bit of a premium, but you can get factory extended warranty w/ it.
(all 3 rate power @ crank)

base price for the denali will prolly be about 10-15k more than an LTZ burb. plus supercharger[s/c] & other mods.

2015+
burb - 5.3L / 6spd auto (w/ s/c, tune catback - approx 480-500 @ crank)
denali - 6.2L / 8spd auto (w/ s/c, tune catback - approx 550-650 @ crank)

btw, those are some very nice Mercedes you have driven ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667

Latest posts