New 2016 Denali - Strange Whining/Motor-Like Noise ????

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Raikkonen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Gang,

First time poster, first time GM product owner w/ a quick question:

I have a 2016 Denali (standard wheelbase) w/ about 4k miles on the clock.

Fantastic vehicle, except for a rear hatch "rubbing" issue that kept it from opening without a horrific rubbing noise; often times stopping the hatch from opening more than 1/3 of the way...addressed at the dealer without issue.

I digress...before I take my truck to the dealer again, I'm hoping there's a service bulletin highlighting a correction for the issue I'm now having.

I hear an electric motor-like noise at low speeds that sounds as if it's coming from the rear of the vehicle. It's definitely lower in volume, but very noticeable. Given that sounds are hard to locate, I could be wrong in regards to where it's originating.

As far as vehicle speed is concerned, I only notice it at lower speeds, but that just may be a result of less road noise in general, making it more noticeable.

The noise itself remains at a "constant" in terms of volume and intensity, and could best be described, as I said, like some sort of auxiliary motor, possibly electric, as the speed of the sound never increases or decreases.

In regards to duration, it's not always on (heard), as driving through my neighborhood, it occurs intermittently, from block to block, sometimes ceasing when I come to a complete stop.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar??? Please tell me this isn't normal???

It's DEFINITELY louder than what I would deem a company to find as acceptable in regards to normal daily operation, hence my question.

I'll experiment tonight to more accurately identify when it is happening (speed, AC on/off, how long into my commute, etc., etc.).

I'll also try to capture on video.

My only fear is that I take it into my local dealer (who is great btw) and they won't be able to replicate the noise.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

OP
OP
Raikkonen

Raikkonen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
in 2wd or Auto or both?

Arrgghh...great point, forgot to mention that!

I can't remember...I'm in 2wd 99% of the time, but I've been in Auto several times in the past couple weeks.

I'll double-check when it happens and repost...

GM Customer Service

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello Raikkonen,

We apologize for any frustration this situation has caused, and understand your desires to have this addressed. We recognize that at this time you are reaching out to other forum members for feedback on your concern, but would like to offer our assistance. We would be more than happy to research your VIN to see if there is any information we can find on your vehicle related to this concern. Please send us a private message with your VIN if this is something that interests you.

All the best,

Julianne M.
GM Customer Care

Hi Gang,

First time poster, first time GM product owner w/ a quick question:

I have a 2016 Denali (standard wheelbase) w/ about 4k miles on the clock.

Fantastic vehicle, except for a rear hatch "rubbing" issue that kept it from opening without a horrific rubbing noise; often times stopping the hatch from opening more than 1/3 of the way...addressed at the dealer without issue.

I digress...before I take my truck to the dealer again, I'm hoping there's a service bulletin highlighting a correction for the issue I'm now having.

I hear an electric motor-like noise at low speeds that sounds as if it's coming from the rear of the vehicle. It's definitely lower in volume, but very noticeable. Given that sounds are hard to locate, I could be wrong in regards to where it's originating.

As far as vehicle speed is concerned, I only notice it at lower speeds, but that just may be a result of less road noise in general, making it more noticeable.

The noise itself remains at a "constant" in terms of volume and intensity, and could best be described, as I said, like some sort of auxiliary motor, possibly electric, as the speed of the sound never increases or decreases.

In regards to duration, it's not always on (heard), as driving through my neighborhood, it occurs intermittently, from block to block, sometimes ceasing when I come to a complete stop.

Has anyone else experienced anything similar??? Please tell me this isn't normal???

It's DEFINITELY louder than what I would deem a company to find as acceptable in regards to normal daily operation, hence my question.

I'll experiment tonight to more accurately identify when it is happening (speed, AC on/off, how long into my commute, etc., etc.).

I'll also try to capture on video.

My only fear is that I take it into my local dealer (who is great btw) and they won't be able to replicate the noise.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

quicksilver

Reaction score

Are you sure it isn't the air compressor? Stick you ear just behind the drivers back tire when it is making the noise. The compressor is about 6"-8" behind the shock. Mine kind of freaked me out the first time I heard it.

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure it isn't the air compressor? Stick you ear just behind the drivers back tire when it is making the noise. The compressor is about 6"-8" behind the shock. Mine kind of freaked me out the first time I heard it.
+1

My bet is on the air compressor. With the factory setup it can turn on quite often.

OP
OP
Raikkonen

Raikkonen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks very much guys, I appreciate it...

At the risk of sounding clueless (I am), what exactly does the air compressor do on our trucks, and when and why does it activate???

DennisT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be the seat coolers? I know when mine are on it makes a constant noise.

OP
OP
Raikkonen

Raikkonen

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
That is an unusual noise (and very loud BTW), but no, that noise was actually explained to me during the delivery!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J2PDeweese