New 2013 Tahoe LT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Picked up this 2013 early in the week to replace our totaled 2009. High miles (almost 200k) but body, paint and interior are all in great condition and mechanical issues and associated rebuilds/replacements don't worry me. I'm expecting to deal with engine and trans at some point in the next few years. But right now they seem to be doing OK.

Immediate issues to resolve:

- there's a dash notification saying to service parking assist. Need to figure out what's going on there.
- loud rattle inside the driver's door panel. And window up and down seems janky. Need to pull the panel and see what's going on in there.
- start replacing fluids one at a time. Bought it private party. It seems pretty obvious it's been taken care of, but I think it's had oil changes at jiffy lube-type places.
- It will get an Apple car play head unit soon. Also it doesn't have a rear camera - weird for a 2013 LT? (my 2009 LS had one in the mirror). Probably will add a camera when I do the stereo.

Longer term:
- It doesn't have the heavy duty trailering option so it's got a single speed t-case. I plan to find a 2-speed t-case and swap it in.
- Lack of that package means it's missing aux trans cooler and engine oil cooler. Plan to add at least a tru-cool aux trans cooler soon.
- I'll have to decide if the 3.08 axle ratio bothers me too much. Possibly a re-gear at some point, especially if I start using it to tow regularly.
- Engine rebuild or replace at some point Either a larger displacement (5.7, 6,0, 6.2) or (more of a long-shot) turbo.

Burning question of the day:

- AFM is still present and functional. (I see the V4 notice come on at what seems the right times) I'm not hearing any valve ticking or other unusual noises. Do I keep it functional for a while? at 200k, would problems already have occurred if they were going to occur? I have good access to a tuner that could easily turn it off for me. In any case, I do want to have him do a minor tune so lockup is prevented in anything but 5th and 6th.

On the road right now, but interior pics coming. Color is "Mocha Steel Metallic." It's growing on me. IMG_4685.jpegIMG_4682.jpegIMG_4678.jpeg

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Whoa, looks garage kept or in a parking structure. Paint is flawless like a total respray or kept from UV/daylight most of its life. Beware if you keep it outside. My 08 YXL was like that in ‘14 when purchased. A year of driveway parking caused the roof & hood to peel the clear coat. The dash started to crack too. Ceramic coat that jewel.

Oil changes save lives. JiffyLube gave you the gift of time and value. Deff turn off the AFM. Your truck is the poster child for NNBS longevity and quality just starting to be discovered.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
- AFM is still present and functional. (I see the V4 notice come on at what seems the right times) I'm not hearing any valve ticking or other unusual noises. Do I keep it functional for a while? at 200k, would problems already have occurred if they were going to occur? I have good access to a tuner that could easily turn it off for me. In any case, I do want to have him do a minor tune so lockup is prevented in anything but 5th and 6th.

View attachment 408714View attachment 408715View attachment 408716
I am at 160K miles on my 2016 Tahoe and AFM is still enabled. Running perfectly so have not touched it.

Nice find!!

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drives better with AFM disabled. (smoother, less lugging, less delay downshifting)

Also better with park assist disabled.
Its under one of the front seats if you want to unplug it. Might have to disconnect your battery to clear any codes after unplugging it.

I have my TCC disabled until gears 5+6, but am thinking I will turn it on for 4th as well..(5,6 low throttle engagement bumped up about 10mph, think I will bump 6th a few more mph)

OP
OP
DaveO9

DaveO9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments! I haven't driven it much in the last week, but I am pleased so far. Some mechanical things to work out, but I'm hoping nothing too major.

Whoa, looks garage kept or in a parking structure. Paint is flawless like a total respray or kept from UV/daylight most of its life. Beware if you keep it outside. My 08 YXL was like that in ‘14 when purchased. A year of driveway parking caused the roof & hood to peel the clear coat. The dash started to crack too. Ceramic coat that jewel.
Yep, they advertised it as having been garaged. The good news is I have a garage spot for it, too. So hopefully I can keep it looking that good for a while longer.

I do have to admit, there are some imperfections that the pics don't show. Several tiny dimples on the passenger side (like hail damage, but on side panels, hood and roof are fine). I believe driver's door has been mildly dented and then repaired with paintless or something. The molding has some waves and it's not perfectly straight looking down the side. That's the door that has a bunch of rattles in it, too, so going to have to address that. One of the coiled wires for the rear defrost is hanging loose, so need to fix that with conductive glue. (I think I have some from the same repair on my old suburban) But overall, in pretty good shape.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Thekenstar