Need transmission advice please

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
bigfeet

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I think I will shop my state for a builder, or buy one online. Awsome advice thank you all.

OP
OP
bigfeet

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Monster Transmission has heavy duty trannys for $1599. 3yr warranty if you buy thier converter. Any thoughts?

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Internet wins over local shops because they pride themselves on there products. Not only that most of them have been featured in several magazines and that alone brings there sales numbers up dramatically. FLT, RPM and ACE are just a few.
Monster is ok, I'd be a little weary though. Why, because they seem to get several bad reviews and complaints.
I have had my FLT installed for almost 5 years. I have had zero issues. If I have a question, they respond almost immediately. When I lowered my Hoe, the seal on the tail housing started to leak because of wear from the yoke, they sent me a new one for free. THATS what makes a company, customer service and reliabilty.
I'm not trying to sell you on FLT, I'm just making you aware of the other companies that make quality trannies. RPM has the first 4L60E in the 8s, they build one stout ass tranny. ACE is another one who builds some amazing trannies. ALL of which have been fetaured in quite a few magazines
You should cruise some different GM forums and search around before settling for the least expensive (mind you I didnt say "cheapest") route. Mine was $2400 shipped not including my stall.

Hope this helps :)

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I got my own parts and am in the middle of a rebuild. 95 is a "weird" year but the only difference you gotta worry about is the separator plate, everything else inside is the same.

WalterMitty

Full Access Member
Reaction score
im in same boat... gm reman is 1575 and monster is about same. mines a 95 so i got the weird year too :(

My local rebuilder convinced me that it wasn't possible to get good results without rebuilding the 95 I had. He said not even GM could untangle when changes and revisions started and stopped during the year.

All the worn/broken parts were interchangeable, but the electronics and programming changed at least 3 times that year and getting a rebuilt or even new transmission to match what was mated up in the rest of the truck would be highly improbable.

YMMV

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My local rebuilder convinced me that it wasn't possible to get good results without rebuilding the 95 I had. He said not even GM could untangle when changes and revisions started and stopped during the year.

All the worn/broken parts were interchangeable, but the electronics and programming changed at least 3 times that year and getting a rebuilt or even new transmission to match what was mated up in the rest of the truck would be highly improbable.

YMMV

I think you need a new local trans guy. :lol2:

OP
OP
bigfeet

bigfeet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well my local tranny shop, in business 30 years offered me this. The owner said he would re-build tranny as if it were his own truck. He said he would do all recommended upgrades and Corvette servo. 1yr warranty. $1200. Now, this sounds good to me, but, what questions should I ask to ensure that he is doing everything that he is supposed to do. I have no experience with trannys. Any help is appreciated thank you all.

retorq

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ask him for a list of parts he's gonna use and post it here and we will tell you. Honestly unless something major is broken inside a quick tear down and rebuild with a quality shift kit, quality rebuild kit, sun shell, servo and new convertor will be all anyone needs.

If you have that 383 and you drive it hard I would start looking at doing 5 pinion planetaries, input shell reinforcement kits, etc.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Redoak76

Latest posts