Need some input to ease my worries on a 2008 Tahoe z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Justsomeolddude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Today my sister needed the oil changed in her 08 Tahoe so i thought i would help her out.
I had a bear of a time getting off the old filter finally having to use a pipe wrench and pretty much destroyed it but i got it loose. However when putting on the new filter i hand tightened it as much as i could.. i really could not get a good grip on it because it is recessed into the oil pan a bit and icould only half grab it on one side.
i worried about it , i really could not tighten it as much as i normally do on my vehicle.

Ive never changed a filter that was so recessed like it was.
Do you think it will be OK? do i need to go back with a band wrench and tighten it more?

Bill 1960

Testing the Limits
Reaction score
If you didn’t get it the 3/4 turn past gasket contact like it says on the filter, then yes. Hand tight is not a reliable method as everyone is different in hand strength.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum from Oregon.

I hope you applied a thin film of old oil or even new oil to the seal before you spun that filter on there. I always get 1 full turn after seal/gasket contact. If I can do it all by hand, great. If not, I use an oil filter wrench or cup. The cup is a time saver and is great for getting the filter off too.

They look like this, if you have not seen before. There are many designs of them though.

https://www.google.com/search?q=oil...xCTQIHfWXBPsQ9QF6BAgMEAE#imgrc=moZ_pob4WuI4OM

OP
OP
J

Justsomeolddude

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I want to know which engineer thought this was a good design.
Oil-Filter-and-Drain-Plug-e1526816172844.jpg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
That space that the filter is in to looks to be cramped for clearance of a filter cup. There are cups that have a thin wall so be aware of that if you search for a filter cup for it.

01FormulaTA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ive run into this before and have also destroyed filters removing them, whoever changed the oil previously over-tightened the filter...IMO there's nothing wrong with the design and its easily accessible with a band style wrench as you mentioned, it wouldnt hurt to go back and get a few more turns but dont do what the last guy did, it doesnt take much to tighten it

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Today my sister needed the oil changed in her 08 Tahoe so i thought i would help her out.
I had a bear of a time getting off the old filter finally having to use a pipe wrench and pretty much destroyed it but i got it loose. However when putting on the new filter i hand tightened it as much as i could.. i really could not get a good grip on it because it is recessed into the oil pan a bit and icould only half grab it on one side.
i worried about it , i really could not tighten it as much as i normally do on my vehicle.

Ive never changed a filter that was so recessed like it was.
Do you think it will be OK? do i need to go back with a band wrench and tighten it more?

Once I only hand tightened one to not quite 3/4 of a turn on a Jeep and it loosened up quite quickly (about a week or two) and left a little present for me on the garage floor.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Get an oil filter wrench or an oil filter socket like what Ron linked to, or get a K&N filter next time. K&Ns have a 1" nut welded to the bottom so you can turn it with a wrench or socket.

61Sk+cxBnwL._AC_SS450_.jpg

I got a cheap filter socket once, but it didn’t fit, so I opted to go with a band style. Does this K&N socket fit that tight space? Would be nice to use this as I’m always fumbling around with that band clamp.

In other words...I get outsmarted every time by the band clamp. :rolleyes:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
2DoeProjectHoe