Need some help quick!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Choice of a 2006 Yukon XL 1500 2WD http://ithaca.craigslist.org/cto/5726599101.html or a 2004 Yukon XL 4WD http://utica.craigslist.org/ctd/5679457090.html

2WD getting much better MPG than the 4WD? worth the $1900 more?

I can't imagine that 2wd/4wd would make a significant difference in terms of MPG. This isn't a Camry, it's a body-on-frame SUV with a pushrod V8 that weighs nearly 3 tons. Do you really think a few hundred pounds of 4wd gear is going to make much of a difference in fuel consumption? I don't.

I do notice the 2wd has significantly lower miles and apparently spent much of its life in the South. That may be worth it in terms of it being reasonably rust free.

To me the issue would be: Do you need a 4wd or not? If you don't need a 4wd, then there's no point in spending the $$ to get one. But if you need 4wd, then a 2wd just isn't going to cut it.

jerryjoe28

That Guy
Reaction score
2 years newer and 50k less miles ...... my only question would be do you need 4wd or no?

OP
OP
BigDaddy13440

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine that 2wd/4wd would make a significant difference in terms of MPG. This isn't a Camry, it's a body-on-frame SUV with a pushrod V8 that weighs nearly 3 tons. Do you really think a few hundred pounds of 4wd gear is going to make much of a difference in fuel consumption? I don't.

I do notice the 2wd has significantly lower miles and apparently spent much of its life in the South. That may be worth it in terms of it being reasonably rust free.

To me the issue would be: Do you need a 4wd or not? If you don't need a 4wd, then there's no point in spending the $$ to get one. But if you need 4wd, then a 2wd just isn't going to cut it.

I agree with you on the mileage point. The 2004 I test drove, the digital readout said it was averaging 14.6mpg, and the guy I just called on the 2006 said he got close to 20. I honestly can't imagine that it would be that high, that's why I'm asking here, figuring someone with a 2wd would have some insight, and chime in.

I don't necessarily NEED 4wd, I've lived here in Upstate NY all my life, and know how to drive a 2wd in heavy, heavy snow. I know a Burb is much better than a pickup, as there's a lot more weight in the ass end, plus I carry 300+ lbs of tools at almost all times.

I can get either one at any time, but the 06 is about 2 hrs away.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
They both look like theyre equipped pretty much the same. Im originally from just east of Syracuse so not far from where you are. I've driven plenty of 2wd trucks thru snow, and plenty of 4wd trucks also, and I will always take the 4wd up there, but thats me.

mizzouguy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 04 4x4 i can get close to 20 if I baby it, depending on the roads I'm driving. The same truck can also get 14-15 if I run the A/C and drive with a heavier foot. Don't let the mpg fool you. Same motor and tranny. I'd personally get the 4x4 for the fact that if I needed it, it's there. Peace of mind kind of thing.

OP
OP
BigDaddy13440

BigDaddy13440

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They both look like theyre equipped pretty much the same. Im originally from just east of Syracuse so not far from where you are. I've driven plenty of 2wd trucks thru snow, and plenty of 4wd trucks also, and I will always take the 4wd up there, but thats me.

Where from? I live in Rome, wife is from Utica, grew up in Williamstown (went to APW HS), and Utica College and Herkimer CCC.

Martinjmpr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with you on the mileage point. The 2004 I test drove, the digital readout said it was averaging 14.6mpg, and the guy I just called on the 2006 said he got close to 20. I honestly can't imagine that it would be that high, that's why I'm asking here, figuring someone with a 2wd would have some insight, and chime in.

MPG is probably one of the most lied-about aspects of vehicle performance. ;)

Having said that, I could see 20mpg being achievable - if all or most of his driving was on the freeway at moderate speeds. It's stop-and-go that kills your MPG with a vehicle like this. Think about it: Every time you stop, you then need to get that 5500+ lbs moving again, and that requires a LOT of energy. OTOH, once that 5500lbs is moving down the highway, the engine can just loaf along.

I just recently got 17mpg (hand calculated) driving my '04 4wd LT through the Black Hills of SD. If I'd been on a long straight freeway I'll bet I could have beaten that by a fair bit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Luggz