Need help with ball joints

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
So, in an attempt to make 250,000 miles ride more like 100,000 ( or as close as possible), I am in progress on new sway bar bushings, links, tie rods, hubs, ball joints, etc. I’m learning my way thru this as I go because I’m just too cheap to pay someone else. Lol

I’ve made good progress but seem to be stumped by this lower ball joint. Truck info should be in the sig, but to specify... she’s a ‘02 LT 4WD. I got the upper done, but the lower appears to press down and out... and there seems to be 4 places where the top side is almost crimped out to help secure it. No snap rings or anything like that. I’ve only found one video online specific to my setup and these guys were going at this thing with a grinder before hammering it out from above.

Do I have a trip to Lowe’s in my future to buy a grinder? Or is there an obvious (or not so much) solution that I’m just not seeing?

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used a chisel to hammer out those tabs. I probably could have used a cutting wheel on a dremel, too.

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
Ok. So I’m not crazy then? Not only did they kinda “underbuild” the front ends on these trucks, but they also over complicated the simple things.

Byoung1330

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, in an attempt to make 250,000 miles ride more like 100,000 ( or as close as possible), I am in progress on new sway bar bushings, links, tie rods, hubs, ball joints, etc. I’m learning my way thru this as I go because I’m just too cheap to pay someone else. Lol

I’ve made good progress but seem to be stumped by this lower ball joint. Truck info should be in the sig, but to specify... she’s a ‘02 LT 4WD. I got the upper done, but the lower appears to press down and out... and there seems to be 4 places where the top side is almost crimped out to help secure it. No snap rings or anything like that. I’ve only found one video online specific to my setup and these guys were going at this thing with a grinder before hammering it out from above.

Do I have a trip to Lowe’s in my future to buy a grinder? Or is there an obvious (or not so much) solution that I’m just not seeing?
Yes use chisel an hammer or a grinder. Then hit it with a hammer an they fall out. Did both mine. Takes less than 10 min to get them out. Getting new ones in takes a little longer lol

OP
OP
Jeremy4601

Jeremy4601

Reaction score
I appreciate y’all’s comments. It took me a couple of days all told, but she is put back together and riding as smooth as she ever has for me. Now, in true form for me, I have almost immediately moved into another cry for attention from my ‘hoe. She’s seems to be very needy lately, but as long as she keeps me going for less than a note and insurance on a new one... I’m happy to oblige.

I have a new post up in “general” titled troubleshooting help if any of you are feeling up to it. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mrjvieira

Latest posts