Need Help with a CODE (P0442)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
So this morning on my way to go to work i turn the truck on and started right up and i notice that my Check engine light was on and i was like WTF? so i immediately turned off the truck pop the hood and check for the following liquids if needed some, oil, transmission, break fluid and coolant, everything seem good, restarted the truck again and Bamm the check engine lights WAS still on, drove the truck and check engine still on WTF ?

I took it to pepboys to have them pull the code and this is the information that the tech gave me P0442 EVAP SYstem Small Leak Detected

Did a little google research and looks like a few people say something about a gas cap not being closed right while re-fueling, 1. i always close my gas cap nice and hard till i feel a few clicks, maybe replace the gas cap and start from there ?

so my question to you guys how would i go by checking this myself ? and where would i start at, i did a visual inspection on the the hoses that i could see and made sure everything was connected to something and not broken or tear but still check engine light still on if anyone knows anything about this code or has experience something similar please chime in..

Last edited:

chistoso

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just retighten the gas cap and have it reset. This happened to me once when I didn't tighten it after refueling. That is the same code. the cap on your truck shouldn't be bad as new as it is

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

disconnect the negative on the batt for a couple mins if you don't have a code reader to erase the code

nytahoe

"Tha Butcha"
Reaction score
i got code po496 evap high purge flow fault i have a hard time staring after a fill up. have to call the stealiership to bring it in =( wounder how long they are going to keep it

OP
OP
Travieso

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
Just retighten the gas cap and have it reset. This happened to me once when I didn't tighten it after refueling. That is the same code. the cap on your truck shouldn't be bad as new as it is

---------- Post added at 01:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:27 PM ----------

disconnect the negative on the batt for a couple mins if you don't have a code reader to erase the code

Thanks Jerry im gonna go and try this right now, i'll let you know the outcome

That didn't work this is what i did

1.re tighten the gas cap

2. Disconnected the ground

3. wait for 10 min

4. Connected the battery again still check engine light on :(

Any more suggestions ?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Travieso

Travieso

Boooooooost !
Reaction score
***** Update *****

For those of you getting this code (P0442) I found the solution to it it was the gas cap that throws up that code. I had to re-tightened the gas cap and manually remove the code and been driving the truck for over 2 days (100)Miles and nothing has popped up. Thanks Jerry for all your help :Handshake:

TexasYahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
i got code po496 evap high purge flow fault i have a hard time staring after a fill up. have to call the stealiership to bring it in =( wounder how long they are going to keep it

P0496 is usually caused b/c of the EVAP Canister/Solenoid/Purge Valve.. ~$25 at Autozone, easy to replace. It can even cause a rough idle, etc. It's right on top of the intake manifold. #3 in the picture

imagesWLinks

LI99HOE

Top Notch Tech.
Reaction score
I found out that P0442 code comes up also if you try to "top off" after the first click off of the pump nozzle.
Now I only fill the tank till the pump nozzle click off the first time, and no problems.

bkboatnsleds

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had to replace my fuel cap with a new one - I think the 0-ring went bad on it.. so if it comes back throw a new cap on it.

ktmhans

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P0496 is usually caused b/c of the EVAP Canister/Solenoid/Purge Valve.. ~$25 at Autozone, easy to replace. It can even cause a rough idle, etc. It's right on top of the intake manifold. #3 in the picture

imagesWLinks

+1 i just replaced mine. Got it for $12 at rock auto. Code hasnt come back yet.

mhorn0817

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got the code a year ago and replaced purge valve and gas cap with oem....stayed off for a year and has come back on and even when cleared will come back on a couple weeks later. just ordered a oem vent solenoid and hoping that fixes it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pepper1700