Need help- spark plug wire broke, dead cylinder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kablooie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
went camping and when I parked I noticed the YXL Denali 6.0 was running rough. Popped the hood and found the spark plug wire / boot was arcing from the boot across to the heat shield, drivers side third cylinder back from the radiator. Since then the wire has basically separated from the boot. It's not long enough to strip and reconnect and must be replaced.

The closest auto parts store is 45 mins / 25-30 miles away.

Is it ok to drive that far with a dead cylinder? Truck has 98k miles and I'm sure these are the original plugs and wires.

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Problem is, you stand the chance of washing down the cylinder wall with gas. That'll score your cylinder walls, scuff a piston and dilute your oil, possibly causing a rotating assembly seizure. Aside from that you should be fine.

OP
OP
kablooie

kablooie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Can I disconnect the fuel injector or something alternatively?

undy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Probably, not sure what impact that'll have on the PCM. It might throw it into a limp mode. All you can do is try it. It's really your only choice if you want to drive it.

ISU-152

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is why I carry a truck box. Extra plugs, wires, tape, other wires, oils, coolant, tow straps, hitch balls, lights, socket set, blanket, water and other tools/multi tools...etc

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
Try electrical tape if you have it, might work good enough as insulation to stop the arcing look enough to get what you need.

retiredsparky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Electrical tape won't stop high voltage arcing (50,000 volts). You should disconnect the injector like was suggested.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csan2879