Spark plug change @ 99,500 miles 2019 Suburban 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a chance to do the spark plugs and wires in my 2019 Suburban. I do have the 5.3. I went with my usual of e3 plugs which I’ve had good luck with in my past SBC Suburbans.
I installed the e3.74 plugs and oem quality wires. The old plugs in the pictures I numbered looked really good for the miles and the gap didn’t change much, I do have AFM enabled also. truck has been run on 91 Chevron/Shell California fuel since day 1 and has been BB tuned since 6k miles.
Took a bit of arm power to back off the OEM plugs, the hardest part was plug #6 (passenger side) and pulling the plug boots off the plugs they were on pretty good. I ended up breaking a few wires. The boots for the coils came off easily.
Install was perfect, I used the CRC aerosol dielectric grease in both ends of the wires.

I put everything back together, 15-16 or so foot pounds (or snug) for the spark plug torque. Make sure to push the boots till you hear/feel a “click”.

Tip: You do want to have some pretty long extensions and a wiggle joint for some spots. And spark plug wire removal tool.

Fender wells came out and went back in super easy even with the wheels on. Just make sure to remember where all the screws go. Removing the wheels does make a ton more room. I just didn’t want to do that this time.

As for results, she started right up very quickly. I double checked everything she idles a little lower and smoother, and the power is definitely back to where it was.

Overall, the install wasn’t any different than any 2001 to current GM SUV.

IMG_1077.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_1079.jpeg
    IMG_1079.jpeg
    358.3 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1076.jpeg
    IMG_1076.jpeg
    245.8 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1075.jpeg
    IMG_1075.jpeg
    393.1 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1084.jpeg
    IMG_1084.jpeg
    245.2 KB · Views: 23

Brian71

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If 6 and 8 are on the right hand side then I agree. I replaced all the plugs at 160,000 Km's. My arms were chewed up jamming them between the battery and the A/C lines. The most rearward plug I replaced from the bottom.
I thought about removing the inner wheel liners but I chose not to.
The left bank was real easy.

CrashTestDummy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our 2010 PPV was similar. right rear plug was a huge PITA to get to and pull. We did plugs and wires at about 90K miles, and, honestly, I couldn't tell much difference at all. Our 2018 PPV is at 98K miles, and AFAIK, it still has the OEM plugs in it. Still runs great.

tom3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That looks really clean in there for near 100k miles. And good to know those plugs don't weld themselves in at that mileage. I worry about that.

OP
OP
RB_Trucker

RB_Trucker

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Southern California truck and I’m a clean freak with it, I used to mud my older Suburbans but not this one haha. Just need some good leverage to “crack” them loose.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019

Latest posts