Need HELP removing headliner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
Nothing too special to do it. Starting at the front: Remove the 7mm bolt from the left A pillar trim, and the two 10mm bolts holding the handle on the right trim. both trim pieces will pull straight off (disconnect tweeters if you have them). Pop out the dome light cover (clear plastic) with a small screwdriver or pick tool, there will be two Torx (I think T15) there securing the overhead console. Once removed, pull down and unplug everything thats there. Same goes for the visors, remove the trim cover where the visor pivots, there are three Torx there, and pop out the cover (faces the windshield) on the visor support, one more screw there (on each side).

Moving to the B pillar, there will be a trim cover above where the seatbelt is, remove that and there will be a 7mm bolt on left and right sides. Also remove the cover of the seatbelt (where you adjust the height of it), removes by pulling straight out. Then remove the large Torx that holds the seat belt to the B pillar. Pull trim away and set aside.

If you have the overhead DVD screen, lower the screen, youll see four 7mm bolts, remove those and pull the screen part down (held in by a clip as well). Once thats out of the way, there are 4 more 7mm or 10mm holding the outer trim to the roof support. Also, if you have a sunroof, flex the beauty ring slightly and it unclips from the headliner.

C-Pillar: right above where the seatbelt goes in there are covers that need to be removed. 7mm on each side. Same thing goes for the D-pillars. The D-pillar is either 7mm or phillips, cant remember. Also remove the trim panel that goes across the back part of the vehicle, on the roof. Several clips hold it in place.

Now all your trim should be out of the way. Time to start disconnecting wires. There will be a harness that runs down the left A-pillar. It goes down underneath the dash. I believe there are 3 plugs that go down there. They go down by where your left foot would be, under that cover. Youll be able to trace them back. I believe there are 2 or 3 connectors that need to be disconnected on the passenger side A-pillar as well (antennas and such). Once you get those loose, and brought up thru the dash (it isnt as difficult as it may sound), pull the headliner down, it should really only be held up by the weatherstripping from the doors. recline the front seats as far as they will go, and fold the second row flat. get the headliner as low as it will go, and away from the trim panels. Then angle it so that it comes out the rear. Definitely make sure your hands are clean and you have two people (prossibly 3. Whenever I remove them I do them solo, but putting them back in, its best to have 2).

You wont need any special tools, just some Torx, 7mm, 10mm, phillips, and a couple panel tools. I dont have any pics, but Ive done many, its really not that difficult. Be thankful its got the liftgate, otherwise, like in most all cars, the windshield needs to be removed.

Good luck!

cjweb11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fiatdale, I noticed a rattling sound in the headliner, seems to be coming from the center just behind the 2nd row seats, have you heard of this problem or do you know of anything in that location that would be causing that?
I'm probably going to end up removing it but would like to know if there is an easy answer to what is causing it/how to fix it.
Thanks

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
It may be the harness bouncing around, but I havent heard of anything that common up there. For that, you could just follow my instructions, but just drop one side, tilt it down and take a look up there

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick9667