Need help… Crank/no start + Really bad MPG

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not really worried about MPG. It is her around town vehicle, so she has a smaller vehicle to park easier and still carry loads in back. I have my 05 Z71 and she has a 1990 Chevy K2500 ext cab truck with a shell on it. Only has 128k miles on that truck and is as solid a rig as there is out there.

Ah okay, so if your Trailblazer was operating at 50% efficiency of MPG (like mine is), that wouldn’t concern you?

The leaky fuel pressure regulator fixed the no start issue?

I’m wondering because low fuel pressure could very well impact the MPG, no?

Last edited:

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Ah okay, so if your Trailblazer was operating at 50% efficiency of MPG (like mine is), that wouldn’t concern you?

The leaky fuel pressure regulator fixed the no start issue?

I’m wondering because low fuel pressure could very well impact the MPG, no?
I had 2 problems. One was the long crank before start, intermittently. If turned KOEO and waited 3-5 seconds, there is no long crank before start. I did replace the fuel pressure regulator for that because I could see a very slight "clean spot" on the regulator body where it looked like fuel was leaking out and cleaning that area. I did a couple other tests for the problem that I stated earlier and decided that the fuel pump is losing the pressure. The pressure never drops below 15 psi when I had a gauge on it for 4 hours. I am convinced it will need the pump. The mpg has not been checked because it has never been out for a "trip", per say. It is strictly around town as a run around items gatherer and used because of the convenient rear hatch.

The other problem was that during an engine crank to start, the cranking would just stop-like the battery was dead but it is not. I have checked for connections, corrosion, voltage drop and all tests good and this problem is very very intermittent. I am convinced that the problem, well known problem for these rigs, is the ignition switch. I knew about this problem when I bought it and when I went looking for a new switch replacement, the only thing available was the aftermarket Dorman or Standard Parts switches and I installed the SP switch and all was fine until recently. Mind you, the intermittent problem I have now was never experienced with the original switch that I swapped out and I actually still have. I did finally find an AC Delco D1426D switch and should have it in my hands by the 29th. It is literally a 15 minute labor time install.

If either of these problems would just fail completely, I could diagnose and know exactly what is wrong. I will get there for sure. I will not give up.

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming no codes are being thrown, the stereotypical doesnt start until the 2nd or 3rd crank on a fuel injected engine is typically leaking fuel injectors flooding the engine or a fuel pump is dying. Ive had a fuel pump do this for over 6 months until one day it finally decided to just die....while I was cruising down the highway 60mph and 45mins from home.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Assuming no codes are being thrown, the stereotypical doesnt start until the 2nd or 3rd crank on a fuel injected engine is typically leaking fuel injectors flooding the engine or a fuel pump is dying. Ive had a fuel pump do this for over 6 months until one day it finally decided to just die....while I was cruising down the highway 60mph and 45mins from home.

I know fuel pumps failing are very common on these engines, but how about leaky injectors?

And if it were leaky injectors, wouldn’t there be a rough idle or smell of gasoline in the engine bay?

Weak fuel pump can cause MPG issues too, right?

I can’t wait to throw a fuel pressure gauge on the rail (which arrives Monday), I’m just waiting on the new fuel filter, so I can get a before/after measurement.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
With my girl's TrailBlazer, you get the fuel pressure reading at the fuel filter mount, back at the tank area. Just threads on and get a reading. I just back up on a ramp and there it is.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know fuel pumps failing are very common on these engines, but how about leaky injectors?

And if it were leaky injectors, wouldn’t there be a rough idle or smell of gasoline in the engine bay?

Weak fuel pump can cause MPG issues too, right?

I can’t wait to throw a fuel pressure gauge on the rail (which arrives Monday), I’m just waiting on the new fuel filter, so I can get a before/after measurement.

As you are changing the fuel filter (old one out, new one not yet installed) you could rig up the output of the fuel pump directly to the pressure gauge. Run the pump and monitor the leakdown right there.

OP
OP
Rayyy

Rayyy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As you are changing the fuel filter (old one out, new one not yet installed) you could rig up the output of the fuel pump directly to the pressure gauge. Run the pump and monitor the leakdown right there.

That's a great idea. Would I need a special fitting to accomplish this? I shall look into this.

frydaddy96

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Just throwing this out there... check the rotor and cap if you haven't yet.
My '99 would start maybe crank an extra rotation but start on the first try. What got me looking though is driving the back roads, going up hills at 40 - 55 mph it would buck like the TCC was disengaging/engaging very quickly. It would also do it at 70 mph on the highway if enough load was placed on the drive train. Kept thinking it was the transmission. MPG was down a bit maybe but not alarming. It also seemed to have a rough idle, a little more vibes than what I remember. So I looked in my maintenance log, plugs had around 40K but the wires, cap and rotor were original with a bit over 200K on them. When I pulled the cap off, all 8 posts were covered in powder and the end of the rotor was corroded and burnt. Don't know how it was even getting a spark AND there were NO codes. No more bucking under load, starts better and will see what the mpg is after a couple of tanks.

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No distributor or optispark on an LS motor.
Just throwing this out there... check the rotor and cap if you haven't yet.
My '99 would start maybe crank an extra rotation but start on the first try. What got me looking though is driving the back roads, going up hills at 40 - 55 mph it would buck like the TCC was disengaging/engaging very quickly. It would also do it at 70 mph on the highway if enough load was placed on the drive train. Kept thinking it was the transmission. MPG was down a bit maybe but not alarming. It also seemed to have a rough idle, a little more vibes than what I remember. So I looked in my maintenance log, plugs had around 40K but the wires, cap and rotor were original with a bit over 200K on them. When I pulled the cap off, all 8 posts were covered in powder and the end of the rotor was corroded and burnt. Don't know how it was even getting a spark AND there were NO codes. No more bucking under load, starts better and will see what the mpg is after a couple of tanks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorgeC