Need advice on 20 inch or 22 inch for Yukon Denali 2023

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mail2ifu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New to the forum here, lots of helpful responses so posting a question for some advice. I am trying to order 2023 Yukon Denali with Sunroof, the dealer says it will take 4 - 5 months but he has one coming that has above and 22" wheels + Onstar package. I read through internet people are torn between 20 & 22" wheels. Some say ride quality will suffer with one and others say handling will be worst. Does anyone have knowledge on this and can list pro\cons of one over the other from their experience, would appreciate it.

Regards,
Maverick

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi Folks,

New to the forum here, lots of helpful responses so posting a question for some advice. I am trying to order 2023 Yukon Denali with Sunroof, the dealer says it will take 4 - 5 months but he has one coming that has above and 22" wheels + Onstar package. I read through internet people are torn between 20 & 22" wheels. Some say ride quality will suffer with one and others say handling will be worst. Does anyone have knowledge on this and can list pro\cons of one over the other from their experience, would appreciate it.

Regards,
Maverick
I have had both on previous generations. No major difference as long as you have hood quality tires imo. 22 does look cooler on my RST I think.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I run the stock 22" Wheels in the summer w/ the stock Bridgestone tires (for now), and 20" w/ Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter.

I don't really notice a ride quality difference; or if I do, it is so slight that it doesn't matter to me.

Handling: my belief is that with this high center of gravity, the treads will break loose long before any difference in sidewall height is noticable...its a bus, you don't drive it like a sports car. That said, handles great w/ both wheel sizes.

Furthermore, you can always find 20" take off's from almost any GMC or Chevy truck on craigslist or facebook marketplace at a big discount if you decide you want to go that route later. I'd take the bird in the hand...although you could consider waiting for the 2024?

OP
OP
M

mail2ifu

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I run the stock 22" Wheels in the summer w/ the stock Bridgestone tires (for now), and 20" w/ Bridgestone Blizzaks in the winter.

I don't really notice a ride quality difference; or if I do, it is so slight that it doesn't matter to me.

Handling: my belief is that with this high center of gravity, the treads will break loose long before any difference in sidewall height is noticable...its a bus, you don't drive it like a sports car. That said, handles great w/ both wheel sizes.

Furthermore, you can always find 20" take off's from almost any GMC or Chevy truck on craigslist or facebook marketplace at a big discount if you decide you want to go that route later. I'd take the bird in the hand...although you could consider waiting for the 2024?
Thanks for the detailed response. I need to have this by 12/31 for tax purposes :D so can't really wait until 2024. Initially we were debating between Tahoe RST (like the looks of it) v/s SLT or Denali. Magentic ride v/s regular suspension. Unfortunately down here in Houston there are barely any dealers that have cars to test drive. Feels surreal buying 70-90K truck without really driving them between different options.

WalleyeMikeIII

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed response. I need to have this by 12/31 for tax purposes :D so can't really wait until 2024. Initially we were debating between Tahoe RST (like the looks of it) v/s SLT or Denali. Magentic ride v/s regular suspension. Unfortunately down here in Houston there are barely any dealers that have cars to test drive. Feels surreal buying 70-90K truck without really driving them between different options.
Yes, I ordered my Denali having never driven one (did get to drive a used 21 suburban). Bet you could find a couple used ones to drive…or rent one for a day or two from Enterprise or Avis.

I will say, if you plan on towing, get the air suspension...helps a ton w/ sag.

morig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got the 20s because we get out in the country fairly often and I wanted a little more meat to soak of gravel/dirt roads. The ride is super smooth but I will say the look of black 22s is appealing and might be an upgrade at some point. I’m also exploring the option of powder coating the 20s gloss black but trying to find some pictures of what that would look like before proceeding

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This was a tug of war type question for me up until the allocation was received. I built and rebuilt the car several times on the website and just couldn’t decide. One of the major sticking points was the number and type of tires available in the factory size of the 22” wheel vs the 20”. I was lucky and got a chance to drive each. And there wasn’t much of a difference in ride quality but the 22” have less body roll. I really like the appearance of the Texas edition wheels. When Michelin released the defender ltx in the 22” factory size, it sealed the deal. I will say this though. If Chevrolet had the Texas edition style wheel in a 20” size, I would have gone with that because of the number of tire choices available. I would have bought the Michelin all terrain tire.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

If you want to substantially increase the suspension/handling performance of your truck, install a pair of Hellwig sway bars.

GMCnewbee

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Our Denali has the 22 inch wheels. Looks really good and the ride is great. Just keep the correct tire pressure. When delivered there was 45psi. I lowered it to the recommended 34psi.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iasylum

Latest posts