Need advice on my potential Yukon purchase situation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I started in February with a 2022 order. GMC killed that one and kicked me over to 2023. Worse things have happened. GMC accepted my order about a month ago. So I am on the list. In the meantime my wife and I are roadtripping her 2011 Denali XL. We turned over 200,000 miles last week. I have no idea how to even value a 200,000 mile car. I do know that the dealer will hustle if off the lot to a wholesaler if I am dumb enough to trade it in.

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to value a 200,000 mile car that, if we would clean the bugs off from the last trip, looks like new. The wife keeps her cars up.
around here I can pick up a vehicle like that for 7k or less (private party), condition doesn't matter it's the miles that are killing it. dealers always ask higher prices for vehicles under 100k, after 100k they drop, 200k they drop harder

sn00gan

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
We had a similar situation, dealer is a friend of ours so they sold our old Traverse for us at auction, giving us all of the proceeds (minus their costs), and then gave us a loaner vehicle for several months while our custom-ordered Tahoe was being built. Probably saved us $3K in value on the Traverse that way. And since my wife kind of fell in love with the loaner (a fugly bright blue Trailblazer RS dubbed "Smurf") we might pick up one of those soon for a 3rd car when our kid turns 16. (I didn't hate that little turbo 3-banger as much as I thought I would either).
Hello all, newbie to the site here!

I visited 3 dealerships today and came back pretty discouraged. Found this forum, and it's even more discouraging. Here's my situation, I currently own a 2018 Yukon XL Denali, and looking to get into a 2022/2023 Yukon XL Denali. Fortunately, all 3 dealerships say they price at or below MSRP, so that's great. But it's looking like the only people who can get a *new* one, based on what the dealers are telling me, are people who've ordered from factory and then taking delivery. There are simply no new ones on dealer lots. Configuring one online, you just never know when you'd ever get it delivered.

That said, my issue here is that I need to trade in my current Yukon to pay towards the $85-$90K price tag. I only owe a few thousand $ on the current one, so I have pretty good equity. If ordering from factory takes 3 - 6months or longer, used car values could keep coming down and I'm losing equity. If it takes a year to take delivery, I fear my 2018 yukon may lose up to $5K in market value by then.

Anyone else who's dealt with this situation? It's looking like used car values have never been this high, and the market is due for correction soon. I'd just like to have traded in my Yukon before that happens. Any thoughts/advice appreciated.

EdTom

Reaction score
Same situation with me. I waited 4 months for a RST allocation, dealer finally got one two weeks ago. First question I asked was what’s the current value of my 2016 LT with 42k. It dropped 5k in the four months since I first requested the allocation with no guarantee of that value upon delivery of the new one. Felt like they were attempting to steal mine so I walked. Planning to regroup and give it another try with a different dealer on a 2024 upcoming. Anybody’s guess how this UAW strike will affect new and used car prices.

MN1965

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I am probably still one year down the waiting list on 2024 orders, so my 87,000mile 2018 needs to hang in there. I agree that our existing trucks will lose some value, but we are also getting use out of them between now and trade in. By effectively amortizing their original purchase over an extra year, the net financial effect isn’t as bad as it might seem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
patrickleeleep