need a little more power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trackrat

Reaction score
Hello guys! Its been a while since I have posted. I've been a little busy racing. Anyway....I just got a new 30ft toy hauler trailer and while my 2001 denali pulls it, I feel I need a little more power. I have been looking at rebuilding the engine with better internals or just doing a supercharger. My truck has really low miles on it so this is just a want not a need. What I would like to get is some real world experiences with adding a Supercharger to one of these vs just building a 350-400hp natural assperated motor. I have looked at different sites but they all are geared towards racing not pulling. Anyone pull 6000-8000 pounds with your Denali? Looking for more power without having to buy a new truck. If its gonna cost me an arm and a leg to do this then I may as well buy a new truck, but I really love my truck and it has alot of life left. Any help would appriciated. I cant seem to find anyone that has modified one of these for more towing power.

Kev

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just my .02 cents these trucks aren't really meant to pull much besides maybe being a weekend warrior , I assume your comment "I've been racing" that you have a race car and the new hauler is for transporting that with all the nessacary tools and equipment you need . In my opinion I would just buy a Diesel and be done with it . Towing doenst come down to just engine power , Once you upgrade the engine your going to need to either swap the Trans or beef it up , and then for best results Regear the rear axle to handle the heavier loads . Done right Your better off just buying a vehicle already purposely built for this kind of thing .

OP
OP
T

Trackrat

Reaction score
Just my .02 cents these trucks aren't really meant to pull much besides maybe being a weekend warrior , I assume your comment "I've been racing" that you have a race car and the new hauler is for transporting that with all the nessacary tools and equipment you need . In my opinion I would just buy a Diesel and be done with it . Towing doenst come down to just engine power , Once you upgrade the engine your going to need to either swap the Trans or beef it up , and then for best results Regear the rear axle to handle the heavier loads . Done right Your better off just buying a vehicle already purposely built for this kind of thing .

I hear you. The only thing is I really dont want to buy another truck right now. I pull a 6000lb toy hauler. That is the total weight give or take a 100lbs or so. The cost os a new truck for 8 weekends out of the year does not make sense to me. We use the truck for family trips more than I do for racing. The suv works better for my situation. The pickup does not. Three kids in a pickup (even a crew cab) not fun on a long trip from VA to Fl. lol

There are no GM suv's that are 2500 diesels. If GM started making a 6.6 diesel Yukon Denali I would buy it.

Last edited:

Donnie Yukonie

Yates Caretaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear you. The only thing is I really dont want to buy another truck right now. I pull a 6000lb toy hauler. That is the total weight give or take a 100lbs or so. The cost os a new truck for 8 weekends out of the year does not make sense to me. We use the truck for family trips more than I do for racing. The suv works better for my situation. The pickup does not. Three kids in a pickup (even a crew cab) not fun on a long trip from VA to Fl. lol

There are no GM suv's that are 2500 diesels

8 weekends a year yea maybe you might benefit from keeping it , Well A denali I assume you have the 6.0 do you know what gears you have in it ? A Slight bump in gears lets say from 3.42 to a 4.11 and how about an intake and a Tune? It would be cheaper on your wallet and less strain on your truck in the long run . Most superchargers are built just to add power to a engine by means of forced induction . While you would Definitly feel the gains it would still put more wear on your power train and drivetrain because your Powertrain is putting out more power than your drivetrain essentially knows what to do with. changing the gears in a vehicle can get rid of that sluggish feeling when hit the skinny pedal . Just a thought?

OP
OP
T

Trackrat

Reaction score
8 weekends a year yea maybe you might benefit from keeping it , Well A denali I assume you have the 6.0 do you know what gears you have in it ? A Slight bump in gears lets say from 3.42 to a 4.11 and how about an intake and a Tune? It would be cheaper on your wallet and less strain on your truck in the long run . Most superchargers are built just to add power to a engine by means of forced induction . While you would Definitly feel the gains it would still put more wear on your power train and drivetrain because your Powertrain is putting out more power than your drivetrain essentially knows what to do with. changing the gears in a vehicle can get rid of that sluggish feeling when hit the skinny pedal . Just a thought?

6.0 engine. 3.73 gears. That was my thought on the supercharger also. I just wanted some feedback from people that have done it. I'm not looking for all out maximum performance. Just a little more torque really. Torque is what gets you moving. After I take off from the light its fine. Even pulling down the freeway at 60-65 mph it feels normal. Plus right now at cruise speed 60-65 i get 10-11 mpg pulling 6000 lbs.

The only after market items on the truck are a cold air intake, larger transmission cooler, deeper transmission pan, and a jet programmer set in tow mode. The jet programmer made a hugh difference.

Who has a good deal on front and rear gear sets for Yukons.

Last edited:

JennaBear

Resident Ninja
Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Supercharger would be great for towing. Biggest reason we put one on my Denali.

Sent from a jelly bean.

Big Buttons

The SS Burb
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've pulled loads like that with my 2wd burb and it pulls it like nothing.

I have Intake, exhaust, headers, under drive pulley, cam speced for torque and of course a tune. Puts out 356hp to the wheels.

I also have a very large trans cooler and corvette servo.

Badmunky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Swap in the 6l80e.
It would be the same as going to 410 gears. It will hold more power. and keep you in your power band better.
You may even see a bump in MPG when not towing.

If you don't like that option, then boost or a cam.

I'm pulling the same weight with an 07 5.3l.
Wish I had a 6.2 and a 6l80e.
Next time out I will be getting ether a Denali and caming it, or a Diesel.

OP
OP
T

Trackrat

Reaction score
I've pulled loads like that with my 2wd burb and it pulls it like nothing.

I have Intake, exhaust, headers, under drive pulley, cam speced for torque and of course a tune. Puts out 356hp to the wheels.

I also have a very large trans cooler and corvette servo.

If I may ask, What is your cam number and do you have a 6.0 in your truck? Reason I ask is putting a performance cam in a 5.3 and trying to use the same cam in a 6.0 will yield different results.

Kev

---------- Post added at 05:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:00 AM ----------

Supercharger would be great for towing. Biggest reason we put one on my Denali.

Sent from a jelly bean.

I sent you a message on your website..Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cort84

Latest posts