Navigation Upgrade CD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I am down for that, let's see if the right to repair movement keeps it's recent momentum, it could be a back door to force Here! to allow 3rd party software updates.

could you be kind and send me a link for a CD that will work, there are plenty on eBay, I am thinking of buying the version 9.0c which will cost around $170, is that correct? How much is the new disc from GM - I would assume it's gonna be $300+
What year is your vehicle?

2007-2011 used a map data DVD that stayed in the head unit behind the screen and read the data from the DVD. These discs could easily be copied and the "cheap" ones on ebay ($10-15) are usually a copy.

Starting in 2012 the head units had internal hard drives, which you could copy mp3s and stuff to, but also stored the map data. These update discs are VIN locked somehow and when you order one you have to submit the VIN of the vehicle it's for. This disc then gets inserted into the head unit and updates the map data on the hard drive, then removed. They're pricey, about $180 and sometimes on sale for about $150

Last edited:

snowstorm

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What year is your vehicle?

2007-2011 used a map data DVD that stayed in the head unit behind the screen and read the data from the DVD. These discs could easily be copied and the "cheap" ones on ebay ($10-15) are usually a copy.

Starting in 2012 the head units had internal hard drives, which you could copy mp3s and stuff to, but also stored the map data. These update discs are VIN locked somehow and when you order one you have to submit the VIN of the vehicle it's for. This disc then gets inserted into the head unit and updates the map data on the hard drive, then removed. They're pricey, about $180 and sometimes on sale for about $150
Great insights! Thank you.

It's a 2008 Denali, It has the disc behind the screen. I was wondering which disc to get as there are 2021 discs and I was wonder if they're compatible, or if I just should get the 9.0c (2016 update).

Reaction score
I got my 2016 update disc from Ebay for about $30. It works great as it was a factory disc. My last trip I went on, the Nav was completely wrong as new roads were not on there and the roads in Winston Salem had been renamed. It was a nightmare! Desperately need a newer disc but I too have had no luck petitioning GM. I don't want to replace my factory system because I would lose my rear DVD screen. It's very frustrating.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
buckeyeglazier