Navigation Disc - Map Update Failed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunterxx12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - I own a 2012 Yukon Denali XL. I bought it used in January this year. The previous owner never updated the navigation system. I decided to order the new 2016 update from GM. I tried installing the update. It asked if I wanted to update which I said yes. I entered the license key and off it went. Somewhere in the process it failed. Tried to start over and I got a "Map Update Failed" error message. Called back and explained my problem and they said the disc was defective. The sent me a replacement and the replacement did the same thing. Called back again and they said to take it to my dealer to have the navigation system reset. Called my dealer and he said he has never heard of 1) a map update failing and 2) a way of resetting the navigation system. Suggested that I pull the audio fuse for 1 1/2 hours and then try again. Still no joy. Called them back once more and they said go to a different dealer. Meanwhile my navigation system, my DVD player and presumably my CD player no longer work. Appointment to go to the dealer tomorrow. Why do I feel like I'm going to be told my nav unit is shot? EVERYTHING worked fine before the attempted update besides my maps being outdated. Anyone ever run into this? Beyond frustrated....

Marg

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello - I own a 2012 Yukon Denali XL. I bought it used in January this year. The previous owner never updated the navigation system. I decided to order the new 2016 update from GM. I tried installing the update. It asked if I wanted to update which I said yes. I entered the license key and off it went. Somewhere in the process it failed. Tried to start over and I got a "Map Update Failed" error message. Called back and explained my problem and they said the disc was defective. The sent me a replacement and the replacement did the same thing. Called back again and they said to take it to my dealer to have the navigation system reset. Called my dealer and he said he has never heard of 1) a map update failing and 2) a way of resetting the navigation system. Suggested that I pull the audio fuse for 1 1/2 hours and then try again. Still no joy. Called them back once more and they said go to a different dealer. Meanwhile my navigation system, my DVD player and presumably my CD player no longer work. Appointment to go to the dealer tomorrow. Why do I feel like I'm going to be told my nav unit is shot? EVERYTHING worked fine before the attempted update besides my maps being outdated. Anyone ever run into this? Beyond frustrated....

Hi After researching on the net the same problem ,I found your posting and wanted to reply to you... I own a 2013 Avalanche I decided to update the Navigation System 2016 also and after 10 mins of what was to be a 95 min update by discs, I experience the same exact problem. A Map Update Fail error. I Followed the step by step directions and my navigation system just froze on the error.

I spent the afternoon going in circles with GM customer service and the Navigation Customer Service and I got no where. They tried to tell me the disc is corrupted and wanted to send me a new set, but since the system is frozen a new set will not work . I now have to take to the dealer to reset the Navigation System and tell them to re update the Nav system, and since I am still under a warranty I will not be charged... but if I wasnt I was going to have to pay and fight against this. I am now awaiting the outcome of taking it to the service department.

OP
OP
hunterxx12

hunterxx12

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thank you Marg for your response. Please let me know how your service appointment goes. GM has been trying to reach my dealership to instruct them on how to remedy this. Fingers crossed for both of us on this.

When I called my dealer with the instructions from GMNAVDISC to "reset" the navigation system, they told me 1) they had never heard of a map update failure and 2) they had no idea on how to reset the navigation system other than pulling the audio fuse for 90 minutes, reinstalling it and then trying the installation again. This didn't work either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ep33401