My Z71 LIVES in Project Tahoe Transplant

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well I knew it went too easy, during test drive after about a block I got a brake light and a ABS light and transmission was stuck in 2nd gear, figured it has to be a wiring screw up on my part. from what I have gathered pertaining to the (4) 2 pin plugs which are identical (WTH GM?) I am assuming I crossed a couple plugs. now which ones? pulled 3 of the the plugs back off and peeled tape back a bit to find wire colors only to my surprise 2 of the plugs have the same color wired (again, WTH GM?) so I need to figure this out without trial and error. so the transfer case has (3) speed sensors correct? a VSS+rear ds speed sensor+ front ds speed sensor. now I found conflicting diagrams as to locations of rear ds speed sensor and vss. one shows one way the other opposite. it would be very helpful if I knew which was which. and what color wires go to each. as i'm typing what is clicking is front and rear ds sensors would be same color? or Vss and rear? any advice is greatly appreciated. I did post a thread in TECH. very little response.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well I knew it went too easy, during test drive after about a block I got a brake light and a ABS light and transmission was stuck in 2nd gear, figured it has to be a wiring screw up on my part. from what I have gathered pertaining to the (4) 2 pin plugs which are identical (WTH GM?) I am assuming I crossed a couple plugs. now which ones? pulled 3 of the the plugs back off and peeled tape back a bit to find wire colors only to my surprise 2 of the plugs have the same color wired (again, WTH GM?) so I need to figure this out without trial and error. so the transfer case has (3) speed sensors correct? a VSS+rear ds speed sensor+ front ds speed sensor. now I found conflicting diagrams as to locations of rear ds speed sensor and vss. one shows one way the other opposite. it would be very helpful if I knew which was which. and what color wires go to each. as i'm typing what is clicking is front and rear ds sensors would be same color? or Vss and rear? any advice is greatly appreciated. I did post a thread in TECH. very little response.
Sounds like a subscription to alldatadiy might be in your future. Well worth the $15 a year or whatever it costs for access to the service manual.
Edit: my TC has only one plug so I’m no help.

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a subscription to alldatadiy might be in your future. Well worth the $15 a year or whatever it costs for access to the service manual.
Edit: my TC has only one plug so I’m no help.

Mechanically I can get done just about anything, now wiring schematics that's a different story/ I'm like :insane:

OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
223059-fa1c82eebdc4c8932d75e24fea106a44.jpg Okay so I got it figured out definitely had plugs hooked up wrong, definitely some conflicting information in Google if anybody has ever run into this trouble, I found that information on Google show the VSS in two different locations most showed it on the tail of the transfer case on the passenger side, and it is actually the opposing one on the driver side near the same location on the transfer case. one is the rear drive shaft speed sensor one is the VSS, but you can find information for the positions being either way. I see lots of people changing the VSS 4 speedometer issues, they're changing the one that's actually the rear drive shaft speed sensor even those videos on 1A Auto have it wrong but I'm back up and running all gears in the transfer case work perfect just like they did in the Suburban thanks for any input

Last edited:
OP
OP
1badc4

1badc4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Onto the next project. I have found the AC freon leak on the Tahoe, one of the rear AC lines leaks at a transition from rubber to aluminum line all the way in the rear. had similar issue with Suburban, so fortunately I have the rear AC block off plates on the Suburban I can just swap over to Tahoe and re charge. front AC alone was more than sufficient on the Suburban so I feel confident it will be the same on Tahoe. eventually the Suburban will become the Tahoe lol.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Onto the next project. I have found the AC freon leak on the Tahoe, one of the rear AC lines leaks at a transition from rubber to aluminum line all the way in the rear. had similar issue with Suburban, so fortunately I have the rear AC block off plates on the Suburban I can just swap over to Tahoe and re charge. front AC alone was more than sufficient on the Suburban so I feel confident it will be the same on Tahoe. eventually the Suburban will become the Tahoe lol.
Suburbahoe lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BWASTEEZE