My quarantine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SparxXx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My quarantine days have been fun filled rebuilding just about everything! Got to teach my son all the knuckle breaking fun and developing choice words for the tough stuff haha. I've posted previous pics of the lift we did last year which was a 6 in Rough Country lift. Here's what we ended up with.

As I stated eariler we started the project with the 6 inch lift and 35 inch tires so we started with the gearing. 4.56 Richmond gears were installed in the front and rear diffs with a Detroit Trutrac to replace that nasty G80.
After the gears we literally pulled everything out. The engine, trans, torsion bars, transfer case etc. Bought a performance rebuild from Fraser Engine and decided to upgrade to the 6.0 which turned out to be an easy swap.
Once the engine was in we added a few upgrades such as Hedman headers (wrapped), a cold air intake, efan upgrade and injectors.
We chose to do Atomics torsion bar to coilover conversion for lifted trucks. Really wasn't to bad except for 1 really PITA bolt on the driver side. Handling is seriously amazing. I shoot up these colorado passes like I was in a car.
Here we are now with the transmission. Instead of swapping to the 4l80e I decided to purchase upgrades for the 60e such as Borg Warner clutches and sprags. I did try out Raybestos ZPak for 3/4. Sonnex servo and drum. Sonnex pinless accumulators and a transgo shift kit. Right now this trans is amazing! I've put about 3000 miles on it and shifts are very firm and fast at wot and quick but soft when cruising. Want to give a big shout out to Transmission Bench on YouTube! This was our first time rebuilding a trans and turned out to be fairly fun.
Finishing everything up I added a tune from Blackbear Performance, kicker braces to add some rigidity and a MagnaFlow exhaust.20200709_183011.jpg First time I've ever smoked 35's. The yukon is a beast and fully able to handle the Colorado trails.
Now I'm left with the question was all this worth upgrading? Answer is hell no! Haha! Although the opportunity to do all this with my son was truly priceless, worth every penny. Soon as I get some more time ill post more pictures of the whole Yukon.
Hope you all are staying safe! Enjoy

BlackedOutHoe

Low & Slow
Reaction score
Heck to the yeah! I'm lowering mine down some more in a couple weeks, my son (6) is already excited to help in the garage! Raising them right!! :cheers:

OP
OP
SparxXx

SparxXx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Here is a few more pics and tons more to post.
My son applying gear rtv to the front diff after the 4.56 gear rebuild.
Added a couple pics of the coilovers and the 6.0L finally installed.
I'll try and get some pics posted each morning.

20200330_172400.jpg 20200330_174741.jpg 20200329_172421.jpg 20200328_141230.jpg

mattbta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nice work...that sure beats my heads replacement for quarantine work!

Did you correct the sides and orientation of the valve covers later on?

OP
OP
SparxXx

SparxXx

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Nice work...that sure beats my heads replacement for quarantine work!

Did you correct the sides and orientation of the valve covers later on?

Absolutely! Haha. I just threw the covers on to avoid any debris/dirt not realizing i threw them on the wrong way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972