My 1998 2-door build is done - Pics, impressions (and need some input)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Upper tanker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If you have a scanner, see what the coolant temperature sensor is reporting. It’s the one by the thermostat.

It should be reading close to ambient when cold and around the thermostat setpoint when hot. If it is reporting some real oddball temperature, the sensor may be flaking out and fooling the computer into calling for too much fuel when starting.

Holding the gas to the floor while cranking is sometimes a remedy as this puts it into “clear flood” mode, temporarily stopping injector flow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I do have a scanner, but not with me. I do have one of the Bluetooth OBD2 things that I could check it with. I paid the extra money for all of the extra PIDs. So, that would just be the engine temperature, correct?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Correct, you’re looking for the temperature that is being reported to the VCM. It’s the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) sensor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is still at the shop getting the hydro boost rebuilt and the steering work done. I am still throwing codes from the right side O2 and the new MAP sensor on occasion. I ordered replacements for both. I used AC delco O2's on both sides and one was DOA and the other has spotty readings and throws codes. I replaced DOA with an NGK and it performs well so I am doing the same on the other side (love putting Japanese parts on my American truck but what I am I supposed to do).

I think I need a 3 bar MAP since the manifold pressure registers up to 14.7 or right around 2 bar.

My cold start issue is really only at "cold" start so totally different problem than you are experiencing. How does your motor pull in the 2000-2800 range with that cam?

OP
OP
T

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My mechanic did not want to install the U joint on the steering shaft, because he was afraid he would destroy the shaft, which I can understand. When I went back and looked at the procedure it is a big job.

So I ordered a urethane doughnut from an ebay seller to put in in place of the original rag joint. When I pick the truck up next week I will report back on the steering improvement.

OP
OP
T

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So as an update I got the booster rebuilt and got a HEIGHT's adjustable power steering valve added by my mechanic. The valve is ok, I have it on max open and my steering now feels like it has about the same resistance as my GMT800.

This week I replaced my other AC Delco O2 sensor with an NGK and put in a 3 bar MAP sensor. Cold start issue is 90% better but now I may have a little stutter when I floor it from stop haven't driven it enough to be sure. Overall is runs better though.

I also added the rag joint disk from unbalanced engineering as it turns out I had the small size joint. That job is a PIA getting the rivets out if the joint is fairly awful if you don't have a drill press. I have done all you can do to the steering, redhead box, adjustable valve and metal rag joint donut. It drives really great.

I am going to add a rear sway bar next, but I finally got my 1972 Cutlass back and have a million things to do there as well.

OP
OP
T

Toomanyhobbies

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't really had time to do much to the truck and it's basically rained every day for the last month so I have hardly taken her out of the garage. I had it out today and this steering setup is not yet perfect. The steering basically loses power assist when I am at idle, making it hard to parallel park without driving with two feet, which is not a great option.

So I thought maybe a solution would be to put a little bit smaller pulley on the power steering pump. This would bring the pressure up a little bit at idle, no? I have the heidt's valve all the way open, and the steering resistance at speed is fine, I just lose power assist at idle.

Thoughts?

Rear sway will be next big project, but I have so many things to do to the Olds first.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645