Muffler/ Catback recomendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BarnyardHoe04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm thinking about purchasing either a muffler or cat back system for my 04 5.3L tahoe. I currently have an AEM Bruteforce intake and am looking for an exhaust to make the truck sound move aggressive when I put my foot down. Any suggestions? I don't want anything extremely loud, and I'd like to keep the drone in the cabin of the truck quiet. Any input will be helpful

DaUsedMCR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They say corsa is the best for drone, but i have magnaflow 15666 kit and there is next to no drone, and i usually drive about 80 on the freeway. corsa is very pricey as well, and magnaflow is, IMO, nicer sounding and much cheaper!

OP
OP
B

BarnyardHoe04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yea, unfortunately Corsa is most likely out of my price range. I'm a college student and recently got my taxes back and have a little money to play with. I'm assuming your magnaflow is a full system, how much did that cost if you dont mind me asking?

ezdaar

Chat Troll
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ebay, MBRP 3.5 stainless catback, 380$ shipped is what I paid.

Fitment is perfect.
Quality is excellent.
No in cabine drone.
Stealth quiet at idle with a lil rumble.
Quiet enough at neighborhood cruise speeds as not to be noticed by anyone, but yet still has really good rumble.
Has a very good sound and rumble at 45mph cruise speeds and Roars to life at WOT.

Since it is a Glasspack style muffler it does get alil louder as it gets used.
even after 6 months of use it still perfectly acceptable level of sound and NO drone.

A pipe is a pipe. the only diff between MBRP ans corsa ( I have laid them side by side).
Is the muffler type. Corsa is a bigass can with a solid pipe running through it with a couple holes.

Install it yourself in 30 mins, in driveway with a cpl simple tools.

Last edited:

loho16

Full Access Member
Reaction score
fyi MBRP on autoanything.com with the welcome15 promo code makes it like 250.

Jonah52

Senor ******
Reaction score
I have the 6.0 so I ordered a magnaflow y pipe and a summit racing muffler should be here this week

OP
OP
B

BarnyardHoe04

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Thanks for the input everyone!

What do you guys think about a flowmaster muffler (40 or 50 series) that would just be welded in in place of my stock muffler? It is a cheaper option, but is it quality or a waste of money?

Jonah52

Senor ******
Reaction score
^^thats what most people here do. I got the y pipe because I couldn't Gina a dual 3" in and single 3" out muffler for my truck so I'm just running the y pipe to a single 3inch muffler.

hookemdevils22

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
fyi MBRP on autoanything.com with the welcome15 promo code makes it like 250.

I just bought an MBRP cat-back and installed it last weekend. I paid the full $380. :emotions122::emotions122::emotions122: FYI - The promo code makes it $327.24 shipped, a more than $50 savings.

But I second the MBRP choice for anyone looking to do a cat-back setup. Both I and (more importantly) the fiancee like the sound.

@barnyard... The stock exhaust isn't terribly restrictive (it's mandrel bent, unlike the crimped systems of yore), so I say go with a Flowmaster 50 series if you want to save a little cash, since it's less aggressive than the 40. Especially if you're keeping it otherwise stock.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Exceltheink