MSD ignition componants part numbers.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I feel kinda foolish for asking this but.....

If a fella wanted to replace his entire ignition system with MSD parts, what parts would he need?
I've already bought red MSD 9mm plug wires, but what about the rest?

I found a deal on a 6AL box on kijiji, but a google search showed many different versions of this box, and I got confused by the options. I can't even determine if I would need a 6AL.

I would be looking for better performance, don't care about mpg.

What MSD part numbers would be used to replace everything?

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey, thanks for the links! They are getting me started. I hear ya on the funds issue. Thank goodness my credit card statements don't go home. My wife would shoot me!

I made a mistake, my wires are not 9mm, they are 8.5mm. The same ones as these..., just didn't buy them from Jegs. I bought from partssource, who I think got them from Dix Performance from Alberta?

And, which box should I buy?
6A from summit Racing - with no rev limiter?
6AL from Kijiji - with no rev limiter?
6AL-2 from Kijiji - with dialed in rev limiter?
I have no idea what the difference is, other than the 6AL-2 box has higher specs?

And what does this do for me? And is there a MSD equivelent?
VORTEC DYNA-MODULE
Improve the performance of your Vortec by installing our high dwell Dyna-Module!
Dwell within the module controls a coils saturation time, which is the time needed by the
coil to produce a spark. The dwell in our Dyna-Module has been increased electronically
to provide the coil with additional saturation time. The result is a more intense and longer
duration spark in the combustion chamber that will improve throttle response and low end
power! Installation is easy as the Dyna-Module mounts in the original factory location
with no modifications.
Part# 000666 (Vortec Dyna Mod) $95.00

EDIT: Been reading, the MSD 6A boxes would not require the dyna-module. I think...

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, spring is comming. Time to start thinking about upgrading the Yukon some more.
I've spent all winter googling MSD parts, and this is what I've been buying.

I just received the MSD Blaster SS coil. Part# 8207. Link HERE.
And the MSD distributor cap and rotor arrived today. This threw me for a loop and I lost a $20 bet. I couldn't find a MSD cap on the MSD webpages and on Summit Racing, so I said it wasn't to be found. Technically I was right, and so were they. It comes as a cap and rotor kit.
The MSD Vortec cap and rotor kit is Part# 8017. Link HERE.

I've also ordered the new MSD Digital 6AL. Part#6425. Link HERE. It should be here within two weeks.

Hopefully this might help anyone else looking to buy an all MSD ignition.

2K6TBSS

Reaction score
That is a pretty good setup. I had a very similar setup on my 94 Z28. Made a noticeable difference in that car.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That is a pretty good setup. I had a very similar setup on my 94 Z28. Made a noticeable difference in that car.

Thanks. I'm hoping that this will make some sort of difference as well.
If I'm very lucky, maybe even better mpg due to the better/longer fuel burn.

OP
OP
99Yuk

99Yuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So, I have this setup installed now for a few weeks.
Well worth it!
Kicked my truck in the ass and said 'get up and go!'

BUT, It's developed a bad miss at 1500rpm. Scanner misfire data shows all cyls misfiring. Pretty sure it's electrical.

So far, I've bypassed the MSD 6A box and it got worse. Box is ok then.

I researched spark plugs and found out that the truck likes 0.60" gap, but MSD likes 040" gap and one degree colder. OK. Regular AC delco spark plug part number for our truck is C43T. I ordered up and installed C42T and gapped to 040". Truck runs a bit smoother but still misfires.

Next up is repleacing the brand new MSD cap and rotor with AC Delco to see if the misfire goes away.
I'll keep you all posted on what happens!

Last edited:

SunlitComet

OBS Jedi-Do Good
Reaction score
I posted in your other thread but forgot to mention that I have never seen or heard of msd recommending a specific gap it has always been .005 to .010 bigger then factory gap but never more then .060 for our given compression ratio. Stick with the msd cap/rotor. And use plain copper core plugs as the box has trouble reading electrical feedback with other types. Any good hellicaly wound wires are good but no solid core wires. The stock gm's can work if you don't msd wires but eventually the wire will break down electrically.

992dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Huh, thats wierd you got a miss. Whats funny is when I hooked up my box (6A) it didnt get any spark at all. I bypassed the box and it sparks right up and runs great. Now, the box was modified so you would not have to use a harness. I'm not sure if that has something to do with OR if its the ACDelco Platnium plugs. I never knew platinum plugs could cause issues.
I have the box, coil, wires, cap and rotor. While my Hoe is down, I plan on going over this so everything works together.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
k09viper