MPG & Power Increase? 2001 model

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ChazLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hey Gang, I'm brand new to the forum & brand new to owning a Tahoe. However, I've had a Chevy since I was 16, & now I'm old (ish).

Just sold my 04 Silverado & finally got a Tahoe. Always wanted one.

This is a 2001 LS w/ only 139k Original Miles.

Obviously, I'd like a little more pep from the 5.3L & any increase in MPG's would be a plus.

I know I'm asking a lot, but wondering if there were any new tech upgrades that I could make to get either increases, or both, relatively easily & while not breaking my wallet.

Many THANKS in Advance. Again, Glad to Be Here.

Chaz

wjburken

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey Gang, I'm brand new to the forum & brand new to owning a Tahoe. However, I've had a Chevy since I was 16, & now I'm old (ish).

Just sold my 04 Silverado & finally got a Tahoe. Always wanted one.

This is a 2001 LS w/ only 139k Original Miles.

Obviously, I'd like a little more pep from the 5.3L & any increase in MPG's would be a plus.

I know I'm asking a lot, but wondering if there were any new tech upgrades that I could make to get either increases, or both, relatively easily & while not breaking my wallet.

Many THANKS in Advance. Again, Glad to Be Here.

Chaz
Typically more pep and better MPG’s do it go together.

Improve MPG’s by keeping up on your maintenance and fresh fluids in your drive train. Oh, keeping your foot out of the throttle helps as well. You can also get a tune that targets MPG as well by modifying things like shift schedules.

Improve pep by getting a tune, swapping cams, etc.

OP
OP
ChazLS

ChazLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Typically more pep and better MPG’s do it go together.

Improve MPG’s by keeping up on your maintenance and fresh fluids in your drive train. Oh, keeping your foot out of the throttle helps as well. You can also get a tune that targets MPG as well by modifying things like shift schedules.

Improve pep by getting a tune, swapping cams, etc.
Thanks for the tips

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you know what gear your axle(s) has / have?
If your miles are mostly highway miles, 3.73.
(If your miles are ALL highway, 3.42, but then you're not interested in 'more pep'.)
If your miles are mostly metro / urban, or you plan on some towing, 4.10.

Since yours is an '01, it likely has a mechanical fan.
Swapping it out for a pair of electrical fans will improve MpG, power, AND AC behavior at idle.
(I just did this a week ago, should've done it a year ago.)

Even if you do NO engine mods, get your pcm tuned. You'll wonder why you didn't do this one sooner too.
I recommend the one in my sig. Black Bear Performance has a solid reputation as well.
Mention that you want improved highway MpG, and that you have 2 electrical fans (even if you don't yet).

OP
OP
ChazLS

ChazLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Do you know what gear your axle(s) has / have?
If your miles are mostly highway miles, 3.73.
(If your miles are ALL highway, 3.42, but then you're not interested in 'more pep'.)
If your miles are mostly metro / urban, or you plan on some towing, 4.10.

Since yours is an '01, it likely has a mechanical fan.
Swapping it out for a pair of electrical fans will improve MpG, power, AND AC behavior at idle.
(I just did this a week ago, should've done it a year ago.)

Even if you do NO engine mods, get your pcm tuned. You'll wonder why you didn't do this one sooner too.
I recommend the one in my sig. Black Bear Performance has a solid reputation as well.
Mention that you want improved highway MpG, and that you have 2 electrical fans (even if you don't yet).
Thanks Marky. Those were some good suggestions that make a lot of sense too. While I do need to tow a car a few times per month, for the most part, it's riding around town, but just as many highway miles here & there. I don't drive a lot, but when I do, it can be a good 70-100 miles each time. Basically, This truck does it all for the time being. Eventually it may just be my tow vehicle. However, that's many months away. I looked in the glove box & found GU6 meaning 3.42 gear in rear end. The rest of your ideas are things I can & should do. Thanks again. Chaz

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked in the glove box & found GU6 meaning 3.42 gear in rear end.
The rest of your ideas are things I can & should do.
Personally, my Z71 has 3.73, & it occasionally drives me a bit mad, but I used to drive like a cabbie on meth.
3.42 would be MUCH too slow for me, not to mention bad idea to tow anything with.

In your case, 3.73 or 4.10. I'd choose 4.10, but you might have good reason to choose 3.73 instead.
Be sure to tell the tuner which gears you've got, and to tune Tow / Haul mode to avoid 4th gear.

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

You are already receiving sage advice from the knowledgeable folks on this Forum.

OP
OP
ChazLS

ChazLS

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Personally, my Z71 has 3.73, & it occasionally drives me a bit mad, but I used to drive like a cabbie on meth.
3.42 would be MUCH too slow for me, not to mention bad idea to tow anything with.

In your case, 3.73 or 4.10. I'd choose 4.10, but you might have good reason to choose 3.73 instead.
Be sure to tell the tuner which gears you've got, and to tune Tow / Haul mode to avoid 4th gear.
Will do & Thanks Again. Useful info.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brian12019