Moving to the interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have the dash mostly opened up. Couple of dash illumination lights out. Planning on switching to LED if I can find the right units.

One of the auxiliary power outlets doesn't work. Can't figure out why and can't seem to get behind it to investigate. The other one does and the cigarette lighter does, so the third may not be worth messing with.

I have the upper cowling off and can see the screws for the instrument cluster, but is there anything I need to know before trying to pull it to get to the lights?

Glove box is out and I can see then blower motor, but not sure where to go to deal with the speed issue.

Cruise control doesn't work, but I may not bother with that if it's complicated or expensive.

Working on a home brew console to sit over the center hump. 60/40 seats, so no center console.

If there are existing threads, point me to them. I never have much luck with searches to get to the most relevant information.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Upper dash panel is broken in several places around the mounting points. Looks like a real bear to get out, so instead of risking further damage, I'll try some clear glue while it's in place.

Dash1.jpg

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't see how to remove the panel with the cigarette lighter and two accessory outlets. It looks like I have the screws removed, but it won't budge. I thought the two squares at the arrows might be release tabs, but they don't move.

Accessory.jpg

The passenger side door inner panel needs to come off to replace the outer handle. I've tried pulling and prying like all other door panels I've ever removed, but nothing is happening. I only see two screws inside the armrest. What am I missing. When I went out to take the picture above, I realized the bottom of the driver's door was loose. I see the pins and one of them (as well as others) is obviously broken. Are they supposed to be reusable or are they sacrificial?

Pins.jpg

I don't want to force anything and crack 25 year old plastic panels.

Attachments

• IMG_20230325_180248866.jpg
    IMG_20230325_180248866.jpg
    449.8 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Check YouTube on the door panel, but there are the two armrest screws and the rest is just plastic clips. Pop the triangle piece off that is by the mirror as well.

On the cigarette lighter, pull up the four tabs to unlock them but don’t try to remove them. When pushed in, they spread the clips apart to hold everything in place.

D21C6246-3ECF-4CE9-83C0-0C502C415BA5.jpeg
2C4DB96F-97F6-4F9C-9096-4A69A50EA3F2.jpeg

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, cool. I was trying to push them in.

Small screwdriver time again.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Panel removed. Even with the retainers out, it was still snug and had to be pried. Bottom two retainers were gone and replaced with screws to spread the tangs.

Couldn't see a problem, but released and re-seated all three connectors and all three outlets now work. Loose? Slight corrosion?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lighter and charger ports are constant hot, right? If there is voltage and the ground wire on each checks out, then I’d agree that it was probably just dirty or corroded. Since it sounds like someone has been in there before, there’s no telling.

OP
OP
Mean_Green

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At first, I thought maybe one of them was only hot with the key on, but that didn't seem to be true. After I dropped it, I noticed that the one connector marked 'Center' was on the problem outlet (far tight). Not sure why. I swapped those two and pulled and re-seated the third (far left). They don't seem like real solid, good contact connectors though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PeskarS