Mods for newly acquired '04 Yukon

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mortimer452

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Recently acquired a 2004 Yukon SLT, just under 100k miles and exquisite condition. It has the 5300 Vortec. It's been very well taken care of, even the driver's seat looks brand new.

I don't want to get crazy, but if I could add a reasonable amount of HP with $1000 or less in some bolt-ons it would be a lot more fun to drive. This car will eventually be my daily driver, potentially for the next several years, so I need it to last, too.

What does the forum recommend? I could just do the normal CAI/Exhaust/Tune route but not sure what that will get me in terms of HP/TQ/MPG improvements. Is a high-flow muffler or cat-back enough, or is a true dual exhaust worth it?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
For your budget, I would first recommend a Black Bear Performance tune, which will run in the neighborhood of $600. This tune will modify your ECM and also your TCM (if applicable on a 2004 truck, so that shifting performance will also be improved, which can make as much a difference in performance as the ECM tune). And with this purchase, you will be able to obtain additional free tune adjustments for the life of your truck, whenever you make a mod for which a tune adjustment would be appropriate (cam, headers, CAI, tire size change, etc.). You can obtain the tune totally remotely with BBP, and I would suggest that you call @BlackBearPerf and discuss your needs with them. You won't be disappointed. A good tune is the best performance mod you can make for your dollar, IMO.

Then, you will still have $400 to use for other mods.

BlackBearPerf

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently acquired a 2004 Yukon SLT, just under 100k miles and exquisite condition. It has the 5300 Vortec. It's been very well taken care of, even the driver's seat looks brand new.

I don't want to get crazy, but if I could add a reasonable amount of HP with $1000 or less in some bolt-ons it would be a lot more fun to drive. This car will eventually be my daily driver, potentially for the next several years, so I need it to last, too.

What does the forum recommend? I could just do the normal CAI/Exhaust/Tune route but not sure what that will get me in terms of HP/TQ/MPG improvements. Is a high-flow muffler or cat-back enough, or is a true dual exhaust worth it?
We would be happy to help with a tune, give us a call 877-809-4070 if you have any questions.

Tonny

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just read this topic. I see I kinda had similar questions in mind and the members out here really helped me which way to go. All though I haven't done the tune yet, I'm sure that is the best money to spend, normally I wouldn't recommend a tune with a NA motor, for example if this was the case with a European car. But I've learned that GM just put in a lot of restrictions in, or better said, a factory setting which is the best for the average person. Like no full power until 2000 rpm, gearbox that shifts at to low RPM's, since the motor can rev to 6000 rpm and it shifts at 5500 or so. I can write a whole story but maybe it's just better to read my topic also. Kinda on the same budget engine wise! I will go for a Airaid MIT, free flowing muffler, mechanical to e-fans and a tune. Busy with gathering the parts now since I'm in Europe. TONNY STOP!! xD: here is my topic: https://www.tahoeyukonforum.com/thr...ming-what-cold-air-filter-and-exhaust.123733/

Ilikemtb999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
$1k in mods I’d do headers, intake and a black bear tune. If you’ve got a few bucks more and that engine having such low miles, a nice cam would slide right in with everything else (other than valve springs) very easily.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Harry26