Modifing rear upper spring mounts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I installed a 3/5 McGaughys kit on my 04 Yukon. Tim also sold me the McGaughys rear shocks. I've also done the free travel mod. Like others on this board I would like the rear to sit about 2" lower to level it out. I noticed that there is an inch or so between the top of the spring mount and the bottom of the body. Just wondering if anyone else has cut the mount and modded it before I go forward with this idea. Thanks

Last edited:

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
get rid of the shocks... Tim is a great guy...the 3/5 kit is a great kit...I got all the same from him and Im very satisfied....however, the shocks are shit sadly...sooooo...jump on a pair of Bilstein HDs.....I still need to but my truck isnt even running right now so im waiting a bit

OP
OP
Badluck

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The Bilsteins aren't going to bring the rear level with the front are they? Aren't Bilsteins stock length? Then I'd need shock extenders right? I'm guessing they will help with the bouncy rear ride though.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Bouncy rider rear is because you probably need helper bags and shock extenders. Shock extenders try to keep your shock at a normal area so you have just as much movement going up as you do down. If your using your stock shock mounts, your shock is so compressed that it's going to spring up a lot... if that makes sense...

Since you have aftermarket shocks already, that's not what is keeping your rear up. Did you measure your fenders before and after to see how much it lowered it?

OP
OP
Badluck

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I did measure but don't remember the exact numbers. NathanJax, your Escalade is sitting where I want mine to sit.

BlizzardX23

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, New shocks will help with ride quality...its pretty bouncy I'm sure...with my truck parked, I am able to stand on the rear bumper, jump up and down and bottom the truck out on the frame...HORRIBLE...and the tires look like they are wanting to come off the ground...When I put my helper bags in, I wasn't able to bottom it out at all...but I still need HD shocks...I suggest the same for you...as for the rear...if you installed the 5 inch drop coils, you'll get 5 inches out of them...If you want, you can remove those top and bottom rubber coil isolators and that'll give you about another 1/2 inch

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, New shocks will help with ride quality...its pretty bouncy I'm sure...with my truck parked, I am able to stand on the rear bumper, jump up and down and bottom the truck out on the frame...HORRIBLE...

I can't do that. Might might move a little, but it's minimal.

and the tires look like they are wanting to come off the ground...

:eek:

OP
OP
Badluck

Badluck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I never re-installed the rubber isolator. So I'm sitting about as low as it will go without further modification. Thanks for the shock info. My fist concern is getting it to sit level. I have the front keys maxed just to try to level it.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My keys are maxed out (to go up) and it's now sitting 1 inch lower in the front then the rear. I like the stance it has now, so that's were it will stay.

My camber is off like / \ though... o well...

04YUKON

Reaction score
New here.... But...

I have an 04 yukon...with the djm 3-5 drop... I called djm for the shocks needed i think there were the calmax... I dont know the part number but the fit nicely w/o any modification or shock extenders.. Ride quality is good for a lowered truck none of that basket ball bounce.... Another thing to look at... Is the bump stop itself...the djm website has the how to's for the removal of this bracket... Improved the ride big time and i have yet to be able to bottom it out... Even with the 23' boat on the back.
Hope this get to you in time...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Antawonc