Mix and Match GM Bin Bucket of Parts

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EnigmaMan

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently purchased a 2014 Yukon XL and have been playing around with the leveling kit and a few other things. One thing that bugs me about this Yukon is the soft / sloppy suspension. While some enjoy this I personally can not stand this.

Ive have played around with GM vehicles for the past 20+ years and one thing I have found is basically All GM vehicles share parts to save money. Some may be a little beefier than others depending on the application but it's a fact that with GM. Heck they even used the same crappy stock radio from 2005-2014! (which by the way was ripped out and promptly driven over the same day I purchased it!!)

For example:
Motor: In one of my vehicles I have a 7.5L Olds 455 that was made back in 1973, however All the accessory brackets (except for the A/C) from the 1986 Olds cutlass vehicle were exactly the same!

20140217_164506.jpg

Suspension:
In the same vehicle, 1986 Olds Cutlass, I took the front springs and shocks from a Chevy S10 pickup and they bolted right up with a higher spring rate and damper with poly bushings and is fantastic for handling now.

Drive Train:
Transmission:
th200-4r B.O.P - 4 speed Grand national transmission

Rear Differential:
8.5" from a 1972 Olds Cutlass 442
3.73 Gears from a 1999 Chevy 1500
Rebuilt Posi from a 1999 Chevy 1500

20140217_164248.jpg

After doing some digging around and comparing parts the GMC 1500 Truck has a .75" longer shock for the rear that has a higher damper rate for a higher spring rate. Thus making the suspension a little tighter and compensating for the correct ride height for a 1" spacer that comes with a leveling kit.

Does anybody know of comparable parts that work? Or is this something that I will need to put together on my own? Also, is there a company that offers a Poly-bushings for the front end or am I stuck with the rubber?

Thanks!

STORMIN08

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Your best would be to hit up
NORCALL SS (user name), i think his name is Tony...

He is the resident suspension guru for these suv platforms.

One option may be using stock Z71 springs and possible shocks.

I know my 2011 tahoe Z71, had an amazing ride. It was solid with just the right amount of feedba k from the road.
The current 2013 LTZ burb is slightly harsher, but i feel that is due to the autoride being over pressurized a touch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Demetris