Mirror on the fritz.........Horn honks automatically

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Couple questions.

On my 04 Z71, The rear view mirror temp gauge works when I start the vehicle, but after a while it starts going on the fritz and lighting up every light in the gauge. It will eventually go blank, then eventually start working again, and eventually on the fritz again. Anyone have a fix for this? I have no idea where to start other than getting a new mirror............

Second...........the horn on the same vehicle will honk automatically. I pulled the relay and swapped it with another relay to see if that was the issue and it still honks. Kind of annoying when you pull up to a light in heavy traffic and your horn just goes off. It got so bad I simply pulled the fuse as I am out of ideas unless its something in the steering column shorting out. Has anyone had this issue?

Third.............. The rear defroster in this vehicle doesnt work. When I hit the button the side view mirrors will defrost but no power goes to the rear window. I checked the continuity of the back window and its fine, but when i put the volt meter on the rear window when the defroster is on, no power is getting back there. Fuses are fine, all other options in the back work. Any ideas?

Thanks

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as your defroster check the connections that go to the window itself. I know on one of mine the entire little connect piece slipped off. You wouldn't notice unless you actually look at it but it completely disconnected from the window. As far as a fix I'm not sure. I live in West Texas and it doesn't really get cold here so the defroster isn't needed and as such I've never messed with it.

OP
OP
C

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
As far as your defroster check the connections that go to the window itself. I know on one of mine the entire little connect piece slipped off. You wouldn't notice unless you actually look at it but it completely disconnected from the window. As far as a fix I'm not sure. I live in West Texas and it doesn't really get cold here so the defroster isn't needed and as such I've never messed with it.

Unfortunately there isn't any voltage reaching the window. There is continuity in the window itself but when the button is pushed, the circuit is dead.

MrBalll

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm, possibly check all the connections up front and see if they are good? Like, as far as the wiring that runs to the back of the vehicle.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately there isn't any voltage reaching the window. There is continuity in the window itself but when the button is pushed, the circuit is dead.

Have you noticed if your door mirrors defrost when you push the defrost button? Does the indicator light even light up when pushed?

OP
OP
C

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, they do. As I said in the original post. Everything works..............but no power gets to the rear defroster. When testing the circuit with a volt meter its dead. Do these trucks have fusable links or just the fuses under the dash and on the side panel of the dash? chasing down a bad ground is going to suck if this is the case.

OP
OP
C

Chads93GT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you noticed if your door mirrors defrost when you push the defrost button? Does the indicator light even light up when pushed?

Yes. The mirrors defrost. The defrost light illuminates when the button is pushed, simply no voltage to the rear. Must be a loose connection. Sounds like it will be a pain to track down. Time to dig in with the voltmeter I guess. Ugh

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SmithMO