Minor performance mods help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
Guys, @iamdub @gooffeyguy

Anything I can do to the gear box on my ride to make it more reliable. I think it has a 6L80. Something cheap. haha. Because I need to save for a couple months to do the tune.

TY

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
The setup I have on my Vortech supercharged 5.0 mustang is as follows

PCV port on intake manifold is plugged. No crankcase air gets into the intake track at all.
Mechanical vacuum pump driven by engine pulley. The suction side of this pump is attached to the front of a valve cover with a baffle. The outlet side is attached to a vented and baffled catch can. On the back of the lower manifold where the PCV valve would go, I have an adjustable air bypass valve set to give a constant 13-15" of vacuum in the crankcase. I also have a vacuum gauge mounted inside vehicle that shows crankcase vacuum at all times, which is tapped into a valve cover.

I know they make replacement oil fill tubes/caps that incorporate connections for a vacuum pump and also have an air bypass valve built in, but they're pricey...lol

So your 5.0 could easily have 500 hp. And you might be in the upper RPM range more often than not racing, so a catch can seems like an obvious addition. But what about a stock, daily driven 2.4L that barely gets driven past 3000 RPM? Would it be worth the $120 and time to install it ? Still trying to figure out the applications it would prove useful to. Apparently it’s useful for the Yukon’s even if they aren’t seeing high RPM’s, so I’m a bit confused.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys, @iamdub @gooffeyguy

Anything I can do to the gear box on my ride to make it more reliable. I think it has a 6L80. Something cheap. haha. Because I need to save for a couple months to do the tune.

TY

Keep clean and fresh fluid in it is about all. If you tow with it or run it in excessively hot weather, get a transmission fluid cooler. It's kind of overkill on a stock daily driver, but the Tru-Cool 40K (https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-LPD47391-Pressure-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B0060NKA1U) is a popular item. You'd be fine with a little bit smaller one if that one's out of your budget. The best thing you could do to it is a good tune. GM has them tuned sloppy to make them cushy and comfortable. This allows extra slip (heat) and unnecessary extra shifts.

Just Fishing

Can't fix stupid
Reaction score
^
biggest thing is to keep it cool.

If your up to pull the valve body on the thing, there are many improvements that can be made.
Many updated valves for the valve body if it has higher mileage.
Also good to check the techm to see if the lamanates are starting to split apart.

I did mine proactively, it improved shift quality. And i caught the techm pressure switch laminates early before they had really started to fail.

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
^
biggest thing is to keep it cool.

If your up to pull the valve body on the thing, there are many improvements that can be made.
Many updated valves for the valve body if it has higher mileage.
Also good to check the techm to see if the lamanates are starting to split apart.

I did mine proactively, it improved shift quality. And i caught the techm pressure switch laminates early before they had really started to fail.

I didn't understand. If you could post pics or maybe a YouTube video it would be helpful.

TY

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
Keep clean and fresh fluid in it is about all. If you tow with it or run it in excessively hot weather, get a transmission fluid cooler. It's kind of overkill on a stock daily driver, but the Tru-Cool 40K (https://www.amazon.com/Tru-Cool-LPD47391-Pressure-Transmission-Cooler/dp/B0060NKA1U) is a popular item. You'd be fine with a little bit smaller one if that one's out of your budget. The best thing you could do to it is a good tune. GM has them tuned sloppy to make them cushy and comfortable. This allows extra slip (heat) and unnecessary extra shifts.

Yup its available here. Almost 330$ for the cooler. Its too expensive for me haha. Its gets really hot here during summer. Is there like a shift kit or something that is cheap. And do shift kits make the transmission stronger?

TY

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
Think you can do it on most vehicles. Especially on turbo charged vehicles.

I’m back in regards to the catch can, haha! Found another group of people who installs them. Jeepers (or off-roaders in general)...

918BB57D-AB16-446E-89FD-1A5D47C288B8.jpeg

He hadn’t installed one yet and said he’s got one on order. Other Jeepers claim this never happens to them as they have already installed catch cans. Ok...done. Sorry. ;)

Reaction score
I would think on vehicles like that it'd be best to run a dry sump system

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
Guys,

I modified the intake like I was advised. And added the AEM dry filter
I added a catch can (I know this doesn't increase performance)
Cheap muffler.
All this costed me 170$ as I got the catch can for free.

Are there any cheap ways to increase performance?

A tuning shop is asking me 500$ for tuning my Tahoe.

Another tuning shop said 800$ for AFM delete kit without cam. Plus the cost of the gaskets and head bolts. Then labor charge. Cam costs 500$ or more.
Also the shop said once I do the AFM delete I have to do a tune which again, costs 500$.

Asked another shop and they said their AFM delete kit was 3000$.

But I saw this AFM cam on the comp-cam website. Do you think it is good?

TY