Minor performance mods help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I just became part of a Jeep Forum and some of the people there said that it didn’t do much on the little 2.4L NA engines, but they also suggested on turbos.

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
I just became part of a Jeep Forum and some of the people there said that it didn’t do much on the little 2.4L NA engines, but they also suggested on turbos.

My previous car Lexus IS300 (GCC spec - sold as IS350 in the US) had a 3.0 engine, I changed the PCV once. It was stuck because of the gunk in it. I was planning to put a catch can in it. But I sold it. Also the smaller engine version the IS250 (2.5 v6) really needed a catch can due to carbon build up. So it also depends on the engine I think even if it has a smaller displacement.

TY

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
My previous car Lexus IS300 (GCC spec - sold as IS350 in the US) had a 3.0 engine, I changed the PCV once. It was stuck because of the gunk in it. I was planning to put a catch can in it. But I sold it. Also the smaller engine version the IS250 (2.5 v6) really needed a catch can due to carbon build up. So it also depends on the engine I think even if it has a smaller displacement.

TY

This makes sense. Take the 2.4L Jeep engine that produces 180hp...that’s 75hp per Liter. My 07 Yukon with 6.2L 380 hp engine has only 61.3 hp per Liter. Perhaps I will install one in the Jeep just to be safe.

Reaction score
The components of the systems, if not metal, are actually a form of nylon. Not PVC. :p
Lol, you know I meant PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). That's what I get for replying from my smart phone little keyboard with auto-correct....not so smart

Reaction score
The setup I have on my Vortech supercharged 5.0 mustang is as follows

PCV port on intake manifold is plugged. No crankcase air gets into the intake track at all.
Mechanical vacuum pump driven by engine pulley. The suction side of this pump is attached to the front of a valve cover with a baffle. The outlet side is attached to a vented and baffled catch can. On the back of the lower manifold where the PCV valve would go, I have an adjustable air bypass valve set to give a constant 13-15" of vacuum in the crankcase. I also have a vacuum gauge mounted inside vehicle that shows crankcase vacuum at all times, which is tapped into a valve cover.

I know they make replacement oil fill tubes/caps that incorporate connections for a vacuum pump and also have an air bypass valve built in, but they're pricey...lol

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lol, you know I meant PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation). That's what I get for replying from my smart phone little keyboard with auto-correct....not so smart

I know you meant that. I'm just bored. Worked late in the shop last night and too sore to get involved in anything today.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
WTF does that have to do with carbon build up and PVC systems?

HP per liter, lol

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Not sure...still trying to wrap my pea sized brain around all of this. It’s not going so well though. Haha!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rick3645