Minor performance mods help.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I fixed a ball valve under the catch can. I will do the fixing on Saturday after new year. Hopefully a muffler change by end of January.

Sorry Im asking again. I attached a pic of the cut I will make to fix the new hose.

Is this correct ?

TY

View attachment 266323 View attachment 266324

Oooo... Stainless steel ball valve- fancy!

If I'm understanding your drawing, it looks correct. It's really straightforward-

You have a hose/pipe that goes from the rear of the left (driver side in US) valve cover to a port on the top center of the intake manifold. All you're doing with the catch can is splicing it inline with this. So, following the direction of flow, it would go from the port on the valve cover to the inlet of the can, then from the outlet of the can to the port on the intake manifold. It's that simple.

Cutting the factory plastic pipe and slipping rubber hose over it is probably the safest way to do it since that port on the top of the manifold is plastic and will break very easily if bent.

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
Oooo... Stainless steel ball valve- fancy!

If I'm understanding your drawing, it looks correct. It's really straightforward-

You have a hose/pipe that goes from the rear of the left (driver side in US) valve cover to a port on the top center of the intake manifold. All you're doing with the catch can is splicing it inline with this. So, following the direction of flow, it would go from the port on the valve cover to the inlet of the can, then from the outlet of the can to the port on the intake manifold. It's that simple.

Cutting the factory plastic pipe and slipping rubber hose over it is probably the safest way to do it since that port on the top of the manifold is plastic and will break very easily if bent.

I found the valve lying around at work haha.

I added the stainless steel scrubber like you said. Should i make it bigger?

Cant wait to fix it on Saturday. Just have to make sure I don't tighten the hose clamps too tight on the plastic tube.

Got the spacer lift (2 inch). Looks level now.

Ty

WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 07.54.54.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 07.55.14.jpeg WhatsApp Image 2020-12-31 at 08.05.43.jpeg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That scrubber is installed perfectly, but looks really tiny. I have to cram the ones I use in the top to keep the strands out of the threads of the can so it'll screw on. You want it tight against the inlet and outlet holes so the air is forced to go through it rather than around it. See if you can pack another scrubber on there with it.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That’s just beyond my pea sized brain to understand, but will certainly be doing it as well once I get going on the catch can.

It's how catch cans work. The oily air passes through a filtration media that the tiny oil droplets stick to, separating them from the air. More droplets stick to those droplets ("coalesce") and, eventually, they become a larger drop that is too heavy to stay in the filtration media so they fall (drip) into the bottom of the can. The more coalescing media you have, the more oil will be separated from the air.

A stainless scrubber is a cheap, but effective filter media. It provides lots of surface area for the oil to stick to, but covers a large area so the flow isn't inhibited. Which, by the way, is why the stock engine air filter isn't a restriction as many believe. The air filter is multiple times larger in area than that of the throttle body. An air filter absolutely restricts flow- that's just physics. But, a large area of this restricted flow will pass way more volume than if that restricted flow area were constrained to the size of the TB.

OP
OP
Sandaman

Sandaman

Reaction score
It's how catch cans work. The oily air passes through a filtration media that the tiny oil droplets stick to, separating them from the air. More droplets stick to those droplets ("coalesce") and, eventually, they become a larger drop that is too heavy to stay in the filtration media so they fall (drip) into the bottom of the can. The more coalescing media you have, the more oil will be separated from the air.

A stainless scrubber is a cheap, but effective filter media. It provides lots of surface area for the oil to stick to, but covers a large area so the flow isn't inhibited. Which, by the way, is why the stock engine air filter isn't a restriction as many believe. The air filter is multiple times larger in area than that of the throttle body. An air filter absolutely restricts flow- that's just physics. But, a large area of this restricted flow will pass way more volume than if that restricted flow area were constrained to the size of the TB.

I have fitted it.

I don't know what made me think that a red bracket would look cool. Will change bracket later on.

But it was fun doing the install. After the lift I needed a stool to reach everything haha.

I know my engine bay looks filthy. I live in dusty conditions. Also I like making reasons for not cleaning it haha.

TY for your help.

WhatsApp Image 2021-01-03 at 08.11.28.jpeg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
navyboy14094