Me and "Big Blue" - New to the forum, '05 Denali

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Brake_L8

Reaction score
Figured I'd register and make an intro post, since I do have a few questions about my new daily driver, and likely will continue to have more as I pile on the miles.

Just picked up a 2005 Yukon Denali right after New Years' Day. It's Blue Green Crystal (the only color I wanted) with about 127k on it. Was a one-owner, local truck and serviced exclusively at the dealership near where I live. Seems pretty loaded with rear-seat entertainment, second-row captain's chairs, sunroof, etc. Not sure what was standard vs. options once you got into the Denali trim level.

In any case, I picked it up with the intent of towing my track car, which is an E36 BMW M3. The car + trailer combo is about 6,000 lbs, so I wanted something that would pull that with little effort, and allow me to sleep/work out of the back during the track weekends.

It handles like a drunk baboon on roller skates, rides like a Barcalounger, gets horrific gas mileage and I absolutely love it. I'm a BMW/Euro guy, but the domestic trucks are really where it's at for utility - and the Denali was the nicest, cheapest option that could tow what I needed.

I was able to get partial service records from the dealership, so I know what's been done from 99k to today. It had the cooling system replaced, as well as tie rods, pitman arm and idler arm.

There's an occasional shimmy in the front end, that comes and goes between 45 and 65 mph. Nothing specific brings it about, and if I get on the brakes when it shimmies, it will occasionally get worse. I do have the optional 20's, and I have to think they are hard to keep balanced well. Not sure what else it could be. My old BMW 5-series would exhibit similar behavior and that was due to blown out control arm bushings - but I hear the GMT800s don't really go through bushings/balljoints unless they are in a wreck. This one has never been hit.

Also seem to have a power steering leak. It's been miserably cold lately so I plan on taking it to a local shop on Monday. Looks like a leak from the steering box.

Any ideas re: shimmy would be appreciated! Glad to be a part of the forum, hoping it'll be a good resource.

iL9U2ca.jpg

98aTih4.jpg

clandr1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you had it aligned and balanced yet?

Welcome to the site!
I also own a 2005 Yukon (non-Denali) and bought it new. I've put 128k on it, and other than some periodic maintenance and routine wear items (water pump, brakes, tie rods/pitman/idler), the truck has been fantastic.

OHSIXX

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome....love my 06'. I get an intermittent shimmy as well-no rhyme or reason or speed-its there and goes away. I also have the optional 20's. Started when I put new Nittos on...have to get to my buddies shop and see if I need a re-balance or something.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks great!

Does the air ride work properly? If not I suspect thats some of your handling issues.

A Barcalounger is a recliner apparently... Had to google that one.

I wish mine came with the 20's, its a perfectly sized wheel on these big ol' rigs.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
:welcome: Brake_L8 to the forum.

The handling could all be related to a caster problem. I would be curious as to what the alignment readings are now and if adjusted what the after readings are. Air pressure and tread wear patterns? The 45-65 vibes can be what I stated or a tire problem or a balance problem but if the tread patterns are funky no balance is going to fix that. The alignment shop should check steering and suspension thoroughly and I also think you have problems with the front and rear sway bars bushings and links. I can assure you that a dealer would have to see a completely failed part before they say that it is bad and needs replaced.

---------- Post added at 01:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:57 PM ----------

How do i post ???

What? :hmmm2:

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Love the color of your denali! Looks like you're already getting god advice on your issue :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lbris21