Why the switch to big rims?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ProfeZZor X

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's always going to be a healthy medium between aesthetics and practicality when it comes to adding lower profile tires and rims and other suspension components. Each aftermarket wheel on my vehicle weighs a good 100lbs each, so there's no weight savings for performance. But what does make up for it is added stopping power when paired with my 8-pot Brembo kit. It certainly does it's job. Chatsworth 1.jpgGlam 5.jpgBrembo B-M812.jpg

Jocko PDX

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that many folks are making a statement that larger wheels with tires that have a lower profile "perform better". I assume that this is a statement about road performance, and not off road performance. Certainly it is agreed that a tire with a larger sidewall would be a better option off road. also some are stating that they think that a smaller wheel with a bunch of space looks silly. I would agree, but I don't thing that anyone is suggesting a smaller tire, just a smaller wheel with the same size tire with more sidewall...

Polo08816

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems that many folks are making a statement that larger wheels with tires that have a lower profile "perform better". I assume that this is a statement about road performance, and not off road performance. Certainly it is agreed that a tire with a larger sidewall would be a better option off road. also some are stating that they think that a smaller wheel with a bunch of space looks silly. I would agree, but I don't thing that anyone is suggesting a smaller tire, just a smaller wheel with the same size tire with more sidewall...

Whether low"er" profile tires are better performing both for the road and track is debatable. If it is, it's due to tire availability for certain sizing. But for road course/track applications, people are usually opting for a smaller wheel/taller sidewall with the same overall diameter that can clear the brake rotors/calipers. No one is saying, "Oh, let me get a bigger wheel/lower profile tire of the same tire model for performance". Even in a road/track application, bigger wheels and lower profile tires are more susceptible to damage depending on how aggressively you want to use the curbing at the apex or track out; and those minor line variations amount to faster lap times.

Fast_AT4

RWM +1
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's always going to be a healthy medium between aesthetics and practicality when it comes to adding lower profile tires and rims and other suspension components. Each aftermarket wheel on my vehicle weighs a good 100lbs each, so there's no weight savings for performance. But what does make up for it is added stopping power when paired with my 8-pot Brembo kit. It certainly does it's job. View attachment 421891View attachment 421892View attachment 421893

I look at that and see a Whipple :signs6:

olyelr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heres a denali with oem 20’s. 20’s look like 15 inchers on these new rigs lol.

IMG_8218.jpeg

IMG_8217.jpeg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeyMoSteel