Maybe differential

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dreww2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Everything on the car undercarriage wise had horrible sequeks and a whine and to find out all of my rotors and pads were shot the rear ones were down to the metal. So I get those replaced and I still have a grinding and a loud whine. The whine is when accelerating and the grinding is most the time. I saw on a thread that this could be differential. Any suggestions, fixes costs or something else it could be?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, did you check all the hubs when the brakes were replaced? Is this noise coming from the front or rear? It's a lot easier to see the ring gear on the rear, check the fluids in both differentials. Wait, is it 4WD?

OP
OP
dreww2001

dreww2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, did you check all the hubs when the brakes were replaced? Is this noise coming from the front or rear? It's a lot easier to see the ring gear on the rear, check the fluids in both differentials. Wait, is it 4WD?
4wd and the hubs looked fine. The whine is way more noticeable than grinding

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continue the process of elimination starting with the simple and going from there. So the hubs are fine and the noise doesn't change when you turn or swerve? I would pick up a couple bottles of rear differential fluid, it's got a new grape smell now, and drop the rear cover and have a look. The gasket is reusable. I would also check the front differential and transfer case fluids and plugs for the obvious, excess material on the magnets and burnt fluids.

Have you cycled in and out of 4WD and through the Hi and Lo settings on a soft road?

OP
OP
dreww2001

dreww2001

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Continue the process of elimination starting with the simple and going from there. So the hubs are fine and the noise doesn't change when you turn or swerve? I would pick up a couple bottles of rear differential fluid, it's got a new grape smell now, and drop the rear cover and have a look. The gasket is reusable. I would also check the front differential and transfer case fluids and plugs for the obvious, excess material on the magnets and burnt fluids.

Have you cycled in and out of 4WD and through the Hi and Lo settings on a soft road?
ill try ti pick some up today it only whines when accelerating would that point to anything.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
greygranny