Max Towing too Stiff

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black18premier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2018 Tahoe Premier that has the max trailer package. I bought it about a year and a half ago and got a decent deal on it and I’m thinking it’s because of the suspension. This thing is so stiff stuff actually flies around in the back if you hit a bump in the road. I was originally ok with it as I had a car as my other vehicle. I have since gotten a truck for work and am looking to soften the suspension up on the Tahoe. Looking for input on what softer suspension parts are compatible.

First post so let me know if I didn’t do this right.

Last edited:

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My guess is you could look for springs and shocks for the standard tahoe. Does yours have the electronic shocks and air ride?

Joseph Garcia

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

The first step that I would take is to bring it to a reputable dealer or repair shop, familiar with this truck and its suspension systems, to inspect it and determine if all of the components are operating correctly. I would not shoot the parts cannon at it, or devise any other potential remedies, until this is done. I don't think that the situation that you describe (This thing is so stiff stuff actually flies around in the back if you hit a bump in the road.) is normal for any stock truck in proper operating condition.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ve got a 2018 Tahoe Premier that has the max trailer package. I bought it about a year and a half ago and got a decent deal on it and I’m thinking it’s because of the suspension. This thing is so stiff stuff actually flies around in the back if you hit a bump in the road. I was originally ok with it as I had a car as my other vehicle. I have since gotten a truck for work and am looking to soften the suspension up on the Tahoe. Looking for input on what softer suspension parts are compatible.

First post so let me know if I didn’t do this right.
Doesn't your Premier have the Z95 Magneride suspension? It's possible that a shock has stuck or needs to be re-calibrated. Should ride like a Cadillac unless you are running non stock wheels and tires.

These were made to tow and the suspensions settle down with a load on, even a hundred pounds or two in the back can help.

OP
OP
B

Black18premier

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My guess is you could look for springs and shocks for the standard tahoe. Does yours have the electronic shocks and air ride?
I know it has air because I’ve heard the compressor. I think there’s a different setup for the trailering package no?

Welcome to the Forum from NH.

Lots of knowledgeable folks here who freely share their knowledge, experiences, and perspectives. Knowledge is power.

I hope that you will become a participating member in the Forum's discussions.

Pics of the truck, please.

The first step that I would take is to bring it to a reputable dealer or repair shop, familiar with this truck and its suspension systems, to inspect it and determine if all of the components are operating correctly. I would not shoot the parts cannon at it, or devise any other potential remedies, until this is done. I don't think that the situation that you describe (This thing is so stiff stuff actually flies around in the back if you hit a bump in the road.) is normal for any stock truck in proper operating condition.
I may take it up to the dealership but the one near me isn’t my favorite place. Their service is extremely slow. Like almost all day for an oil change with an appt. Also it has been basically the same since I bought it from that dealership and it was certified preowned. Not that that means they actually checked it but I feel like if the ride was wrong they would have caught it.

Doesn't your Premier have the Z95 Magneride suspension? It's possible that a shock has stuck or needs to be re-calibrated. Should ride like a Cadillac unless you are running non stock wheels and tires.

These were made to tow and the suspensions settle down with a load on, even a hundred pounds or two in the back can help.
I think because it has the max trailering package it doesn’t have the mag ride suspension. I could be wrong. Any idea how to tell exactly what suspension it has. I know it has air because I’ve heard the compressor run. F2E88337-7164-49C4-BB24-878CF592DA0B.jpeg17224907-21E0-452A-B24A-FF81C7911E6B.jpeg23BACC60-7806-4863-8F77-245BBD6FCD23.jpegAF860592-02B9-4303-A734-4AD563382641.jpeg536BD28F-4046-4E32-8B27-EAC9D8DD4212.jpeg

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been told your trucks don't have an RPO sheet in the glovebox anymore, have to scan a QR code somewhere with your phone. Then you can see what suspension code(s) you have.

Probably Z95 but maybe Z55 with G69.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmm.....not sure on this now. I don't know if there are different settings for the air suspension based on what you have. It will be interesting to see what you learn.

Does it soak up bumps properly over whoops in the road? The air suspension should provide a nice landing without being harsh. I also see that you have 22 inch wheels, how's the pressure? Have you tried putting more weight on the back (couple people standing on the bumper will work) and listen to the compressor pump up and then release air after the weight is gone?

Bigkevschopshop

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2015 Burb has max trailering, rear rides like a dream... Loaded and unloaded... You may have a fault in the rear mag ride or air suspension. If the air is too much then it will ride stiff as hell all the time. I would at least pay a diagnostic fee for a dealer to tell you whats up with it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts