making your engine look pretty

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ndavis0001

Davis Motorsports
Reaction score
WD-40 dont have to wipe off of anything. learned that trick a long time ago on outboard and inboard boat motors, been doing it 7 or 8 years on all cars i detail and my own.

Fauxnali

Gold Member
Reaction score
Doesn't applying WD-40 make it all greasy giving more dust something to stick to?
In my opinion if it is clean and grease free the dust will just rinse off with a water hose or you can blow it off with air.

txhoescrapin

Our needy member :-)
Reaction score
Doesn't applying WD-40 make it all greasy giving more dust something to stick to?
In my opinion if it is clean and grease free the dust will just rinse off with a water hose or you can blow it off with air.

No wd 40 repells dust, won't allow it to stick to things, simply blow it off with air compressor.

puckhead

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gonna have to try this WD40 thing. Think it works better than say a good foaming tire cleaner?

blueflamed03

Supporting Member
Reaction score

I use it on inner fenderwheels, clean, and black :)

baron

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i remember looking at a car for sale once and the engine was amazing looking. the dealer (used car lot) told me they sprayed gas or kero on the motor to make it shine up. wtf?!!

Both come from petroleum, which is the same place you get parrifin wax, among other things. I couldn't say that gas would shine it much, but it would certainly clean it. Cut right through tar, grease, etc. It would probably end up drying it out a bit worse than armor all too. Kerosene, on the other hand, if you have ever felt it on your fingers, it is fairly oily still. I could see how you could shine with that stuff in an engine bay. I don't think it would be any where close to ideal. I, personally, don't know if Armor All is still really bad for your plastics/vinyl, etc, but at one time, it was pretty rough on them if you didn't keep reapplying. It would really dry them out. I haven't touched the stuff in years and make sure that no one puts it on my cars. I have noticed that tires from the used lots start to crack sooner than even old tires I have, after they have put Armor All on them. Might just be a coincidence. As far as spraying under the engine bay, like people say, make sure to stay way from electronic looking areas. Not much worse than sitting at the car wash, trying to get water out from your distributor cap.

kickitandholdit

Full Access Member
Reaction score
damn thats clean. i pressure wash all the time cause i ride dirt roads alot. be easy on the electronics and avoid the air intake and you wont have a problem.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aye_rod