Maintenance items for the win and the joys of rust free work!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've decided to do a career change which means I gave up a company truck and will now get paid to use my own vehicle. My 2008 Denali will go from beater/overlanding/extra vehicle to a daily driver now. Other than it being old-man gold in color, I really enjoy it. So, I decided to tackle some basic items for longevity, better ride, and maybe some more mpg's.

First: put in all 4 oxygen sensors (no codes ever present) based on other's input here since it has 183K on the originals. That made a difference in the test drive - positive win! I then replaced the MAP sensor gasket and threw in a new Delphi MAF. I've had a somewhat rough idle (feels like a cammed motor occasionally) that I felt could be addressed. The MAF sensor helped smooth that out and the overall driving characteristics seem more refined. I now have spare parts for the MURPHY KIT that I know are good .

Second I bought GM OE lower control arms from Rock Auto (bend over without lube....). Since the originals lasted 183k with only minimal play on either side, I figured just go for it and then it's done. I also bought new sway bar links and bushings (another recommendation from here).

This is where the rust free REALLY was nice. All the hardware came apart easily (axle shaft, LCA bolts, struts, etc). It was so nice to just pull stuff apart, and put it back together. No torch needed!. Even the O2 sensors popped right out without any fuss.

Now that it's back together and road tested, it feels like a new truck! The ride is so smooth and quiet now over bumps in the road. What a difference some bushings make. To be honest, replacing sway bar bushings has never been on my radar, but is now for sure. What a simple way to improve the ride.

Along with new vented rotors and pads all the way around, she's ready to hit the road. Next week I'm hoping to replace the RMS and finally be able to park on concrete like a normal person....LOL

Attachments

• 20240412_143028.jpg
    20240412_143028.jpg
    273.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 20240412_143021.jpg
    20240412_143021.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 8

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've decided to do a career change which means I gave up a company truck and will now get paid to use my own vehicle. My 2008 Denali will go from beater/overlanding/extra vehicle to a daily driver now. Other than it being old-man gold in color, I really enjoy it. So, I decided to tackle some basic items for longevity, better ride, and maybe some more mpg's.

First: put in all 4 oxygen sensors (no codes ever present) based on other's input here since it has 183K on the originals. That made a difference in the test drive - positive win! I then replaced the MAP sensor gasket and threw in a new Delphi MAF. I've had a somewhat rough idle (feels like a cammed motor occasionally) that I felt could be addressed. The MAF sensor helped smooth that out and the overall driving characteristics seem more refined. I now have spare parts for the MURPHY KIT that I know are good .

Second I bought GM OE lower control arms from Rock Auto (bend over without lube....). Since the originals lasted 183k with only minimal play on either side, I figured just go for it and then it's done. I also bought new sway bar links and bushings (another recommendation from here).

This is where the rust free REALLY was nice. All the hardware came apart easily (axle shaft, LCA bolts, struts, etc). It was so nice to just pull stuff apart, and put it back together. No torch needed!. Even the O2 sensors popped right out without any fuss.

Now that it's back together and road tested, it feels like a new truck! The ride is so smooth and quiet now over bumps in the road. What a difference some bushings make. To be honest, replacing sway bar bushings has never been on my radar, but is now for sure. What a simple way to improve the ride.

Along with new vented rotors and pads all the way around, she's ready to hit the road. Next week I'm hoping to replace the RMS and finally be able to park on concrete like a normal person....LOL
Whaddya want a medal? So wut your stuff is ‘rust free’…. Keep bragging about it, geez… some people..

Pete from NY (home of the salty briney pot hole infested over-tolled roads)

:happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175::happy175:

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL. It's not very often in the midwest that big/little items cooperate without heat, or vibration, persuasion. I'm going to bask in this for awhile......

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gotta do my sway bushings too, I hope that's what squeaks when cold. Already got some Moogs with fabric lining somewhere...

Rear main next week, Whoa!!.. Would take me a year or more to work up the courage.. even then I might not do it..

Which reminds me, I have a leak! Thought I fixed it when I replaced the oil cooler block off gasket. Was bone dry for months, now oily again.
Even after replacing block off with oil cooler lines... Must be a new leak..

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeesh....I hate leaks. I have been dealing with this getting progressively worse for the last 3 years.......so I've had time to work up to it. It doesn't look fun, but hopefully with a lift and second set of hands it will go easier. It may be easier to just return the parts to Amazon and buy a diaper for it LOL

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember a customer years back that had an old crown vic (mid to late 90's) that had a RMS, or oil pan gasket, leak so bad the whole underside of the car was continually rust-proofed. It even covered the rear bumper and trunk face by the lights with an oil film. He lived on a gravel road, and parked on gravel, and gave zero F's. Oil was cheaper than labor in his mind. It never rusted out though.

mikez71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea I was being way optimistic saying 1 year.

3 years sounds about right!

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
08 Denali for company vehicle, that’s fun. When I used TurboTax for our 08 YXL Denali as the work vehicle, the deduction was huuggge. The dealership costs may have been covered by a service contract, can’t be sure tho. :)

Order your oem heater hose replacement parts off rock auto if you haven’t yet. They’re impossible to get when you need them on the spot. Ironically, the dealerships always have them for $200 each.

OP
OP
B

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
08 Denali for company vehicle, that’s fun. When I used TurboTax for our 08 YXL Denali as the work vehicle, the deduction was huuggge. The dealership costs may have been covered by a service contract, can’t be sure tho. :)

Order your oem heater hose replacement parts off rock auto if you haven’t yet. They’re impossible to get when you need them on the spot. Ironically, the dealerships always have them for $200 each.
Good info. I think they were replaced prior to me taking ownership, but it doesn't hurt to have them on hand. I purposely keep 5/8 silicone hose (plus other sizes) and clamps in my Murphy Kit in case I need to make a quick repair. Years of field service has honed the MacGyver skills.

Also noted about the expenses...... Having certain chef skills are pertinent to keeping the recipe right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
juniordaboi909

Latest posts