Main Bearing Failure with 6.2L at 3,200 miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
ChrisYukon

ChrisYukon

Reaction score
"the cam was moving so much that the cam was hitting the timing cover." That doesn't even make any sense.

BacDoc

Reaction score
So sorry to hear about this! Sounds like you have been out of your truck for over a month?

Some people complain about the price of these new trucks and I always thought they were expensive but worth it - at least if they are reliable! Paying $75k+ you should expect to be taken care of in these situations! If your truck is under warranty and needs an engine it’s reasonable to ask for comparable loaner or at very least rental reimbursement.

Isn’t there a class action lawsuit against GM over this? Seems pretty reasonable to assign responsibility!

Dilligaf34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Been without the truck for two and a half months. Just got the call that it now needs another motor. The service manager is going to call me after he talks to the area Rep for Gm to find a resolution for the situation. There are six vehicles there now waiting on motors.

Antonm

Reaction score
The GM LS engines of the early 2000's had close the same HP and never failed, what the hell did GM do, forget how to build engines?

Marky Dissod

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM Gen3 LS V8s of the early 2000's had close the same HP and never failed.
What the hell did GM do, forget how to build engines?
Normally, I assume stupidity before malice. However ...

Engine Half@$$ required dual-mode lifters, which (I suspect) were intentionally designed to be less robust / durable than simple lifters.
Engine Half@$$ is directly responsible for a downturn in Gen4 LS V8 longevity, compared to Gen3.
Besides lifter failure, consider the increased oil consumption from sticky piston rings.

Although Cylinder Confusion mostly did away with the oil consumption / sticky rings,
the dual mode lifters' durability / longevity / reliability has not been improved in TWENTY GOTTDAMNT YEARS.
Leaving not-quite-well-enough alone, for a multibillion dollar multinational automaker,
is INTENTIONAL.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what they are doing to cause these failures on 6.2 but I have seen this happen in the 2000s engines with piston slap which started getting to be problem when they stopped fitting pistons to bores in engine and just put engine together without fitting them and you might receive engine that would have piston slap which I have in my 2002 Yukon to this day.

I have seen this happen with 5spd manual transmission the first build series would have bearings on shafts and metal sleeves on bushings and then start replacing sleeves and parts with plastic and parts that weren't as robust to lower cost s of making each new generation of transmission.

BacDoc

Reaction score
Been without the truck for two and a half months. Just got the call that it now needs another motor. The service manager is going to call me after he talks to the area Rep for Gm to find a resolution for the situation. There are six vehicles there now waiting on motors.
If that’s not enough to enforce the lemon law I don’t know what is! Im not sure what I would do in this situation but being with out your new truck for 2 months is unacceptable. Maybe you should go up as high In GM as you can and tell them you would love to blast social media with positive things about GM if they would just replace your truck with a new one! Much better for their reputation than telling how GM screws over customers who have legit warranty claims.

Dilligaf34

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
This is a big inconvenience and also unacceptable, GM customer service has been no help just a bunch friendly patronizing with very little info. When this first started I said I wasn't in a big hurry, I just want the issue fixed right the first time. From what I can tell GM has done very little to address the issues with the 6.2, from what I can tell this is a common problem in years 22,23,24 and continues to grow. It seams like it might be time to start making some noise on social media to get someone's attention. If there is a class action lawsuit ongoing I would like to get involved.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Oscarrgv