Magnetic ride suspension VS standard

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BlackLTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Is magnetic noticable for day to day local road and high driving-or is this more for aggressive off road?

The premier I looked at had magnetic ride but the RST was sharper looking-no off roaring here

Last edited:

Chloe_21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is magnetic noticable for day to day local road and high driving-or is this more for aggressive off road?

The premier I looked at had magnetic ride but the RST was sharper looking-no off roaring here

I have test driven the 5.3, 3.0 (both 2WD) and 6.2 (4WD).
The 5.3 & 3.0 were on an RST too.

I thought it rode very nicely around town. A bit stiffer than the magnetic ride control, but noticeably different than my ‘13 Acadia. I liked how it handled, even with both engine options- I was impressed with the ride. Handles like a car.

for me, I like the magnetic ride control better, it’s pretty noticeable when going from an RST to the Denali I test drove.

I would suggest test driving both, but I know how difficult it is at this time to even find these beauties on the lots. I had to run to Chevy on my lunch break just to test drive before they were sold.

Does the RST and Z71 look the same? Or nearly the same? I’m not sure if the Z71 may have the magnetic ride control, it should since air ride suspension is an option. Could possibly go for the Z71. It’s available in 4WD only.

but I’d say the magnetic ride control is the best between the premium suspension.

OP
OP
B

BlackLTZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Magnetic ride is definitely noticeable. Bumps are much more controlled. Handling is much better.

Do you think there would be a noticable difference in a premier with MagRide VS RST with standard suspension when driving city/highway?

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a question. Do the new rigs not have electronic dampening, like auto ride in my 07? It’s either magnetic ride control or passive shocks?

Kpwweb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Do you think there would be a noticable difference in a premier with MagRide VS RST with standard suspension when driving city/highway?

I guess it depends on what you are after. My 2016 was standard suspension, which I changed to Bilstein struts and shocks when OEM got worn. I thought that setup was the best.

Fast forward to my now current Z71 with air suspension and magneride. I have experienced the previous generation magneride-this generation is so much better. Last generation was no-hum. With this generation, I have literally not noticed bumps and holes that made my previous Tahoe buck and snort. It corners flatter, handles better, is soft when it needs to be and firm when it needs to be. Very well done in my opinion.

I do shudder if these struts wear out. They will be costly.

Blueinterceptor

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The standard suspension is pretty good
Consider that the z71 has a standard suspension coupled with the air ride. That combination, I believe will rival the magnetic ride.
I think the magnetic ride is nicer than the standard. But the magnetic ride coupled with the air suspension ride the best. IMHO
I drove an Lt, premier and high country.
I did not like the look of the rst, so I did not drive one. ymmv

Last edited:

hdrolling

Reaction score
The standard suspension is pretty good
Consider that the rst has a standard suspension coupled with the air ride. That combination, I believe will rival the magnetic ride.
I think the magnetic ride is nicer than the standard. But the magnetic ride coupled with the air suspension ride the best. IMHO
I drove an Lt, premier and high country.
I did not like the look of the rst, so I did not drive one. ymmv

The air ride isn't available on the RST, not sure what you mean by "coupled"? Z71 and High Country are the only two trims with available air ride for the 2021's.

TexasLC

Reaction score
I have a Z71 with air and magnetic and it’s easily the smoothest “off-reader” I’ve had.

The ATs I think are a little stiff, and I’m hoping moving to Michelin M/S 2s will soften it up even further.

But honestly it’s really nice as it is from the factory.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne