Magnaflow catback experience requested

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I know that there have been a bunch of exhaust threads, however, I am getting conflicting information. Some people say that the magnaflow catback drones on the highway, others say it is quiet and only "growls" on acceleration. My problem is that whenever my family (parents and grandparents) goes anywhere, we take my '05 tahoe (with the 5.3) because it has a 7 person capacity. My 83 year old grandma has hearing issues and the drone messes with her to the point that she can't even ride in a droney vehicle . (My dad had a flowmaster 40 on his '04 sierra that droned horribly and she refused to ride in it).

Obviously the problem i have is that i can't install it and then send it back if it is a problem. Can everyone that has the Magnaflow catback please weigh in on this for me.

Sorry for the long rant, but i appreciate any input you guys have.
Thanks.

NJ04HOE

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a full cat back system, I just replaced my muffler and tip. I recently took a trip with my wife and we were on the highway (average speed 70-80mph) for a little over an hour each way and I did notice the drone for the first time.
I have had it on for almost three months now and that was the first long ride I had since putting it in. It's not as bad as a flowmaster but honestly it does drone.
I'm cool with it but I think it may bother grandma.

This is the muffler I have, I heard it was the same model used in the cat back systems.....
12589.jpg

Last edited:

jdpromo33

Proud Tahoe Owner
Reaction score
I just got my Magnaflow Catback system installed today and I LOVE the sound.

You can definitely hear it and I guess the word "Drone" is subject to interpretation and even at slow criusing speed you hear it over a stock pipe. But it' new to me so I'm noticing it a lot at the moment.

gtbigup01

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^ I agree i think everyone interprets drone their way. I just installed mine last month and haven't had a long trip as yet but I have been on the highway and the sound doesn't bother me. I've had cars with catback that droned so IDK. Mine is just the muffler and tip though not a full catback. The best thing I can tell you (OP) is find someone that has the system you want and take a ride with them before you spend money and be disappointed

---------- Post added at 10:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:27 PM ----------

I don't have a full cat back system, I just replaced my muffler and tip. I recently took a trip with my wife and we were on the highway (average speed 70-80mph) for a little over an hour each way and I did notice the drone for the first time.
I have had it on for almost three months now and that was the first long ride I had since putting it in. It's not as bad as a flowmaster but honestly it does drone.
I'm cool with it but I think it may bother grandma.

This is the muffler I have, I heard it was the same model used in the cat back systems.....
12589.jpg

Just FYI the model used depends on the truck it's going on, eg on mine it dual in/dual out stock so thats the type muffler the replaced it with. I posted the p/n in the performance section last month

OP
OP
L

LuSe4

Bleen Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys! Good idea Gtbigup01 about riding in one with this exhaust.

Anyone around Grand Rapids, Michigan up for letting me hear their magnaflow on a 5.3 Tahoe? Ha ha!

tenntahoe

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I installed the same muffler listed here (12589) about 3 weeks ago. Love the sound and it is great around town, but I travel on the highway a lot and there is a RPM range (~2100 - 2500) where the muffler has a bit of drone. That's unfortunately where I am driving most often (75 - 80 mph). It's not terrible and some that have ridden with me don't mind it, but I am thinking of adding a resonator to try and eliminate it. Probably would bother an older rider especially if they are in the back two rows of seats. JMHO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ericbath

Latest posts