Magic Box Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It works as advertised and I am happy with it so far. Played videos seemlessly on the main infotainment screen. You can also download, install and use any application from the play store.

That said, I have a couple of notes for using it in my 2022 Tahoe High Country. I do NOT have rear entertainment, so I can’t answer any questions about that.

1.) it doesn’t remove the factory infortainment buttons “wrap” on the touchscreen, so video being played is in a smaller window that it could otherwise be. Annoying

2.) it doesn’t help with waze not displaying on the HUD or digital dash. It works fine on the main screen, although the audio is a little choppy. I prefer waze on my phone’s CarPlay (I also use the built in integrated Google maps at the same time so that I get directions on my HUD)

3.) It acts as a stand alone device, rather than an extension of your phone, like a tablet would. It also seems to only use a Google account, and I’m an iPhone user, which is a little inconvenient for getting logged into my apps. Maybe I’m just overlooking something though.

More notes as I discover more.

dernals

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So what are the benefits aside from video in motion and loading other apps? Neither of those features are exciting to me. being able to type addresses in while in motion would be nice but not worth the price for that one feature.

OP
OP
selectsplat

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not just video in motion, but video in general.

CarPlay is pretty limited in what apps you can use. Weather apps are a good example. It’s nice to see the radar on the full screen, but CarPlay doesn’t allow it.

It essentially turns the main screen into a tablet, rather than being limited to carplay only functionaly.

I was hoping it would remove the google “wrap” (buttons on the left side) when using apps like waze, so that I could use more of the screen for the app itself, but no such luck.

Also was hoping that it would put directions from waze on my HUD, but that doesn’t work either.

Probably not really worth the cost, tbh. Especially if you already have a tablet.

DenaliCountry

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not just video in motion, but video in general.

CarPlay is pretty limited in what apps you can use. Weather apps are a good example. It’s nice to see the radar on the full screen, but CarPlay doesn’t allow it.

It essentially turns the main screen into a tablet, rather than being limited to carplay only functionaly.

I was hoping it would remove the google “wrap” (buttons on the left side) when using apps like waze, so that I could use more of the screen for the app itself, but no such luck.

Also was hoping that it would put directions from waze on my HUD, but that doesn’t work either.

Probably not really worth the cost, tbh. Especially if you already have a tablet.
What does the install entail? Or is it plug and play thought the USB-C port?

Edit - I just decided to read how it works LOL. Seems interesting, sort of want to try it for my kids to see if they can watch a movie on the dash...

Last edited:
OP
OP
selectsplat

selectsplat

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What does the install entail? Or is it plug and play thought the USB-C port?

Edit - I just decided to read how it works LOL. Seems interesting, sort of want to try it for my kids to see if they can watch a movie on the dash...
That’s what I bought it for, for my wife to watch movies on the dash on long trips. Netflix works pretty well.

OutGolfn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Agree with your comments above it's all about the video and access to watching when/how you want with your passengers. GM crippled the Front screen with no way of watching Video, unlike the like 2016-2019 Tahoes that you could through HDMI/Apple TV setup when stationary. GM really needs to open up the Google Play store and the 000's of apps now that can be loaded on the new 2023's with the new Google system/google maps etc...

We tried The Magic Box, but I ended up doing the Carlinkit AI Box running Android 12 with 8gb ram/ 128gb storage from amazon that ends up being $200 with more customizing.

This allowed more storage 128gb and ram 8gb, the magic box I received was 4gb ram and 64. The Magic box was running older Android 11.

On amazon if looking at the Carlinkit AI box make sure you choose the newest one with Android 12 and 8gb ram and 128gb storage this will come in cheaper than the Magic box.

Also you can download the apps from Google Play store and use APKpure to download apps without having to sign into your google account if you want to use it from a strictly entertainment standpoint like we did.

Allows you to use Apple CarPlay wireless, Android Auto, or the full Carlinkit AI android box like tablet/phone with full customization. There is a slight audio/video lip sync issue with any of these when playing video/audio from apps, but maybe a future firmware update will resolve. YouTube, YouTube tv, Netflix, and watching sports is what we wanted it to do and works great. Hope this helps

chris80

Reaction score
Based on my research, the Carlinkit AI Box mirrors your phone to the infotainment screen. It mirrors more phone apps than apple carplay which is limited when using an iphone.
I was hoping users could answer a few more questions about the Carlinkit AI Box.

My first question is about its function. Will it "convert" an iphone to an android system and mirror all apps on the infotainment screen? Every video I watch, the phone is never discussed.
How is the streaming capabilities using the phone as a hot spot instead of internet provided by Onstar? I'm looking discontinue wifi through Onstar.
Is it possible to send stream to the rear entertainment screens?

OutGolfn

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Based on my research, the Carlinkit AI Box mirrors your phone to the infotainment screen. It mirrors more phone apps than apple carplay which is limited when using an iphone.
I was hoping users could answer a few more questions about the Carlinkit AI Box.

My first question is about its function. Will it "convert" an iphone to an android system and mirror all apps on the infotainment screen? Every video I watch, the phone is never discussed.
How is the streaming capabilities using the phone as a hot spot instead of internet provided by Onstar? I'm looking discontinue wifi through Onstar.
Is it possible to send stream to the rear entertainment screens?
I use it strictly as an entertainment/streaming video connection to the front Tahoe screen. Youtube/Netfilx/Sports,Youtube TV, ESPN,Chrome browser, APKpure or google play store to download additional apps etc..

It only works on the front screen, does not work on rear screens as it uses the wired Apple Car play connection. From there you can use it as wireless Android 12 box with full customization, or in wireless mode for Apple Car play or Android Auto.

Using the vehicle's unlimited data connection is the easiest but you could try any mobile hotspot/wifi connection. Performance would be dependent on your hotspots speed/many are not unlimited so keep that in mind.

Running the Carlinkit AI Box in the full android 12 mode allows the most freedom and customizing. I'm sure there is a way to mirror your device, but using it in full Android 12 AI Box mode you do not need a phone as long as it's connected to the vehicle wifi data connection. Just like you have a laptop or tablet in the front seat, but using the Tahoe/Yukon's 10.2 touch screen. There's many use cases depends how how much the person wants to customize and change things. Or simply just plug it in and use it as it comes, has USB C and USB A cords in box.

Amazon link to purchase currently with seller coupon is $199 Amazon Carlinkit Android 12 AI Box

joemtexas

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I use it strictly as an entertainment/streaming video connection to the front Tahoe screen. Youtube/Netfilx/Sports,Youtube TV, ESPN,Chrome browser, APKpure or google play store to download additional apps etc..

It only works on the front screen, does not work on rear screens as it uses the wired Apple Car play connection. From there you can use it as wireless Android 12 box with full customization, or in wireless mode for Apple Car play or Android Auto.

Using the vehicle's unlimited data connection is the easiest but you could try any mobile hotspot/wifi connection. Performance would be dependent on your hotspots speed/many are not unlimited so keep that in mind.

Running the Carlinkit AI Box in the full android 12 mode allows the most freedom and customizing. I'm sure there is a way to mirror your device, but using it in full Android 12 AI Box mode you do not need a phone as long as it's connected to the vehicle wifi data connection. Just like you have a laptop or tablet in the front seat, but using the Tahoe/Yukon's 10.2 touch screen. There's many use cases depends how how much the person wants to customize and change things. Or simply just plug it in and use it as it comes, has USB C and USB A cords in box.

Amazon link to purchase currently with seller coupon is $199 Amazon Carlinkit Android 12 AI Box
I was using an AI Box from MVI in my 2021 Tahoe set on the vehicles wifi data connection.
After about a month, my Onstar stopped working and I lost my vehicle wifi connection.
Te dealer ordered a replacement Onstar Module and 2 months later the vehicle WiFi and Onstar are back in service.
I am concerned about plugging the A/I Box back in but I was curious if anyone else lost their Onstar module while using these devices or it is just a freak coincidence