Machine Shop - Installing cylinder sleeves & other work

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I didn't see a good place to put this thread since it applies to just about any internal combustion engine, so hopefully the title piques curiosity.

If you've ever wondered how cylinder sleeves are replaced during a rebuild, check out the videos at Jim's Automotive Machine Shop at https://www.youtube.com/@JAMSIONLINE. This father and son team has their shop near Greeley, Colorado (NE of Denver), and does a variety of engine and head work. Quite a few videos on valve seats & valve work, too. I found it very interesting to see how they do things.

He also has videos on his AFM delete from his GM pickup.

This video starts after the old sleeves were removed from a Jaguar engine, but the process is typical for nearly any ICE:

Last edited:

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Economically it just doesnt make sense to get an engine sleeved/resleeved unless of course the engine is desired because of matching numbers, rarity or its a special build that is not very common and the desired engine size is not obtainable any other way.

Between the cost of the sleeves and machine work you are better off getting atleast another block or long block even in some cases when it comes to common engines like a 5.3l, 6.0l etc. Its been awhile since ive checked but last time I checked around me it was $80 a hole just for the bore and that was around 7 years or so ago. That is when I got the wild idea to take a 5.3L and bore it to a 5.7L(LS1). Since then I have of course have been introduced to the 6.0L and love it.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Melling sleeves were like $30 and usually only one is replaced in our old motors.

Thanks Fless! I enjoyed watching the kid get his LC9 running again and that jaguar series as well some others. Great stuff!

OP
OP
Fless

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Melling sleeves were like $30 and usually only one is replaced in our old motors.

Thanks Fless! I enjoyed watching the kid get his LC9 running again and that jaguar series as well some others. Great stuff!

I found the processes and results interesting, and he didn't have to have me hovering over him in the shop. LOL. Obviously they work on some things that we don't see every day -- such as tractor engines that are decades old and good cores aren't necessarily available due to age and condition. I love seeing them bring back something that would probably have been junked. The cost of newer machinery is astronomical and this work is necessary to keep the food growers doing just that.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One problem resleeving is the sleeve hardness is lower than original. Started seeing it in 90's and it was thought then it was a cost cutting measure from sleeve manufacturing. Don't know if it was ever resolved.

OP
OP
Fless

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
One problem resleeving is the sleeve hardness is lower than original. Started seeing it in 90's and it was thought then it was a cost cutting measure from sleeve manufacturing. Don't know if it was ever resolved.

I think one of the videos showed them using Melling sleeves, FWIW.

89Suburban

Bull in the china shop
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found the processes and results interesting, and he didn't have to have me hovering over him in the shop. LOL. Obviously they work on some things that we don't see every day -- such as tractor engines that are decades old and good cores aren't necessarily available due to age and condition. I love seeing them bring back something that would probably have been junked. The cost of newer machinery is astronomical and this work is necessary to keep the food growers doing just that.

That's neat man thanks for sharing. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins