LT1 in a 98 hoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jaycenk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok so I have a spare LT1 laying around and I was thinking about the tahoe last night when I came up with this idea. The LT1 would be built, not stock. I just got done building one this spring that I put in my 97 camaro. Basically I would build the lt1 and send the intake off to have it machined to use a distributor. Then I would use the Vortec PCM, Distributor, and harness to hook up to the lt1 and eliminating the OPTI pain in the ass. Put it in the tahoe and mate it up to my 4l60e. Thats the basic Idea. As far as accesories I would have to figure that out before I started this. The LT1 has the abillity to run higher compression on pump fuel and can make great power. The 383 LT1 I just built is a little street monster. I used LE2 heads and a custom cam and I can only imagine what it would be like to have that engine in the tahoe. I know I could do the same type of work to the vortec but I don't have a spare one of those laying around. Let me know what you think or if you see any flaws I havn't yet.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Been there done that…. I had the LT1 finished and was ready to drop it in my 95 Tahoe and realized it would limit future mod’s. I yanked the existing engine and turned it into a 4 bolt 383 and have not regretted it.

Especially if you are going to go through the trouble of putting a distributor in it.

I love the LT1’s. I have a supercharged version in a Camaro, but the standard SBC in the Tahoe has allowed way more options. They don’t make a “bolt on” twin turbo setup for a LT1.

There also could be a lot of work to get the alternator, air con and power steering moved around for the LT1…

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:imo: the Vortec igntion system isn't much better than the Opti. Just a thought but why not just run the LT1 off the 0411 PCM and use the LS style ignition? This will get rid of the OptiSpark and you won't have to have the intake machined. I think some guys have used the Corvette accessory brackets to get the AC compressor out of the frame, custom hoses would be necessary though

95TwinTT do you have a build thread anywhere? The Tahoe looks spotless and that's some top notch work you've done.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
95TwinTT do you have a build thread anywhere? The Tahoe looks spotless and that's some top notch work you've done.

Thanks, There is no build thread. This Tahoe continues to be “work in progress”. From a couple of different size superchargers, nitrous and then on to the twin turbos. I just keep refining the pile of parts as time goes on. I guess you could call it a hobby.

I have always wanted to try a tricked out N/A big block. I would probably find another OBS 2 dr and start over. This one is running so well I don’t want to mess with it. :)

Danny_Z56

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From were i see it,power and torque numbers are pretty much the same for the LT1 and L31 V8's.

LT1= 260hp-330tq
L31= 255hp-330tq (clutch fan robs 5hp)

As far as the power/torque band goes im not sure.Im sure the L31 brings on more torque and hp at a lower rpm than the LT1.Mainly do to the fact the L31 V8's were mainly used in trucks and SUV's.

All i can say is that i have owned 6 LT1 Caprice's in my life and they all had great pull all the way up to 100mph.Then again i could say the same about my Tahoe,however my Tahoe has 3.42 gears vs my Caprice's 3.08's.

One of these days i plan on doing a few good pulls with my Tahoe and posting up the vids on here :)

I know my buddy Greg still has a 1995 9C1 LT1 Caprice in awesome shape.He has driven my Tahoe and told me that my Tahoe seems to have much better bottom end punch than his Caprice.He said my Tahoe just felt like a rocket in comparison.Maybe his Caprice is not up to ***** lol.

steamroller

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From were i see it,power and torque numbers are pretty much the same for the LT1 and L31 V8's.

LT1= 260hp-330tq
L31= 255hp-330tq (clutch fan robs 5hp)

As far as the power/torque band goes im not sure.Im sure the L31 brings on more torque and hp at a lower rpm than the LT1.Mainly do to the fact the L31 V8's were mainly used in trucks and SUV's.

All i can say is that i have owned 6 LT1 Caprice's in my life and they all had great pull all the way up to 100mph.Then again i could say the same about my Tahoe,however my Tahoe has 3.42 gears vs my Caprice's 3.08's.

One of these days i plan on doing a few good pulls with my Tahoe and posting up the vids on here :)

I know my buddy Greg still has a 1995 9C1 LT1 Caprice in awesome shape.He has driven my Tahoe and told me that my Tahoe seems to have much better bottom end punch than his Caprice.He said my Tahoe just felt like a rocket in comparison.Maybe his Caprice is not up to ***** lol.

That's true for the B-body iron headed LT1's, but the numbers for the F-body aluminum headed engines are a little better @ 285 hp and 335 tq, the SS and WS6 packages were rated a little higher IIRC. The B-body and Vortec engines actually use the same cam and the Vortec heads are copies of the LT1 heads in a standard cooling configuration, that's why the numbers are so close.

The big benefit of the LT1 is the intake setup, it isn't as restrictive as the Vortec poppet/spider injection garbage, plus they run a little more compression and have more aftermarket support.

Some vids would be nice, do you have any idea what it weighs?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
montanaboy65