Lower bumper valance

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chase Epperson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What're you guys using to paint your lower bumper valance? I want to color match mine but I don't want to have to continuously repaint or touch it up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
I plastidipped mine. Held up great so far. But as for a color match @Fosscore would know. I've heard some use a flex paint specific for plastic trim so it doesn't cracking or chip under pressure.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i just prepped mine, used adhesion promoter, primer, duplicolor paint match and spraymaxx 2k clear for mine. been on for a month or 2 with no problems at all

OP
OP
Chase Epperson

Chase Epperson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What steps did you take to prep it? Just a good degreaser, and some sanding?

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the shop do all my color matching parts, even both chrome steel bumpers. Everything that they have done has been properly prepped for the type of material they were painting, be it plastic or metal. Both my chrome bumpers still look great, as does my lower valance and chrome OEM grille. There are some very very small chips from rocks I'm guessing, but the finish is still looking $$ IMHO.

In fact, I just clay barred it this morning and am polishing it out this evening and it is still shiny and smooth. Hope that helps a bit.

05Single

afraid of the dark
Reaction score
Mine was just dish soap and water lol

But like fosscore said for paint you will have to sand like anything else. And the better the prep the better the finish and longevity. Knocking that texture down would be the worst part.

Fosscore

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That texture is a mofo. I tried to get rid of it on the rear bumper pads and failed, even with 80 grit. When the shop did my valance, handles and mirrors, I'm pretty sure after the adhesion promoter (proper clean and sand beforehand of course), they laid down a couple coats of primer to cover up that nobbly plastic texture, otherwise it comes through the paint and clear.

An example, I color matched my license plate light housings, spare tire lock cylinder and the push button for the rear lift gate. I sanded lightly to rough it up, adhesion promoter, but did not use primer and you can see the texture through the blue top coat if you look closely enough. Not enough to put me off having done it as it is better than the black.

It is all going to boil down to the prep work put in. Shooting that top coat will pay off if you do the proper steps like mentioned above, otherwise you will see all your mistakes or shortcuts.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What steps did you take to prep it? Just a good degreaser, and some sanding?

Yes. I washed then degreased then sanded degreased again. Then used adhesion promoter and primer (some say adhesion promoter is primer but I used both) sanded any rough spots and used degreased (wax and grease remover) then color and clear

OP
OP
Chase Epperson

Chase Epperson

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Have you had any chips or anything? And what kind of paint did you use?

adventurenali92

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good thread to read. Gonna attempt to do some small,stuff soon on my own, my on star gun and lock cylinder cover to start off small and see if I can get it right. I read through some threads recently that duplicolor makes many direct factory code paint matches. Might look into that for brand^

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mazer16