Low Oil Pressure at Idle When Warm

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NortheastRig

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
If the gauge was pegged out at 80 most of the time and then dropped off to 0 sometimes he shouldn’t have touched the oil pump in my opinion. I would’ve replaced the oil pressure sensor first and then went from there. It’s quite possible that you spun cam bearings like my engine did because after spinning mine I found out from the local LSX performance shop that it’s super common to happen. We ended up being able to just knock new cam bearings into my engine and then I rebuilt the entire thing and just got it put back in my Tahoe yesterday but now I have no spark and no cranking RPMs so I have to check all my grounds and my crank sensor

Would installing cams require dropping the engine out of the vehicle? Because I’m seriously just thinking getting another engine with decent miles and just stalling it verses dropping the current engine and swapping parts to a new engine block

OP
OP
A

Austen Leach

Reaction score
Hoping for a quick solution to your problem, you’ve been through a lot with this engine.:happy160:
Thanks! I’m thinking that it could be a ground issue on the drivers side because I know I didn’t put the ground back on the head because I bolted it with the ground strap to the bellhousing. So swap that around really quick and then on to looking at the crank sensor

OP
OP
A

Austen Leach

Reaction score
Would installing cams require dropping the engine out of the vehicle? Because I’m seriously just thinking getting another engine with decent miles and just stalling it verses dropping the current engine and swapping parts to a new engine block
Installing cam bearings you have to have the engine out or at least I would take it out due to the fact that you need to be able to make sure that the oil holes line up from block to bearing. Changing the cam itself you can leave the engine in and just take the radiator out and you have enough room to slide the cam out. The only issue with a used engine which ultimately made me just rebuild mine is that you have absolutely no idea how the inside of that engine looks. You could get a crazy high mile engine and then it run forever or you could get an engine like mine that only had 133k on it and it spun cam bearings

OP
OP
A

Austen Leach

Reaction score
Update to everyone. Got the Tahoe fired up and running. Checking all fluids and moving harness around and the truck turned off. Had a buddy crank the key while I moved the main harness across the intake and the truck started back up. Took the intake off thinking I had a ground loose I found the cam sensor wiring stripped about a quarter inch back away from the connector on all 3 wires and they were all touching

Kevinf89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After my engine's oil had 4K+ miles on it, the pressure when hot, stopped at a light in gear, would also drop down to about 20 psi. I was using a Mobil 1 filter and have since switched off to K&N and pressure has returned to normal. I have no experience with WIX and stopped using the ACDelco E-Core filters, change your filter to something else and see, leave the old oil in there save for what you need to top it off.
Year old sorry but isnt 20 and up perfect?

Kevinf89

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After my engine's oil had 4K+ miles on it, the pressure when hot, stopped at a light in gear, would also drop down to about 20 psi. I was using a Mobil 1 filter and have since switched off to K&N and pressure has returned to normal. I have no experience with WIX and stopped using the ACDelco E-Core filters, change your filter to something else and see, leave the old oil in there save for what you need to top it off.
Ik this is a 04 but my 2010 runs a tiny bit above 20 hot idle and above 40 driving will hold a bit above 40 idling amd once driven be above 20

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jmart157

Latest posts